No bootable device -- insert book disk and press any key

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dplus, Mar 14, 2013.

1. dplus macrumors newbie

Hello, I am having a little problem with my new iMac. I search in google and I don't seem to get an answer...or maybe I just don't know which one I should do...
    This is what happen. When I turn on my iMac it goes to a white screen, then to a black screen saying "No bootable device -- insert book disk and press any key" I can't press any key at all so I try restarting...same message goes.

Before this happen I did do one thing which I don't know if this is the cause of it. I change the trash can icon...how I did that is I went to...
    Macintosh HD>System>Library>Core Services>Dock>Contents>Resources
    I just replace the trash can image with the new one, same name as the old. It did change but then this black screen message start happening...

I search on google, some people say to hold alt-option key when you are in the white screen and then enter your drive from there. I did that and that is how I get to here to ask you guys...how can I get rid of that black screen?

Some people say you have to reinstall Windows 7 under Bootcamp or something...but I dont have Windows 7 in this iMac. I still did try going to Bootcamp and reinstall things but once I click continue, it said "To create a bootable USB drive for Windows 7 or later version installation, select the Windows ISO image, select a destination USB drive, and then click Continue." But I don't have a ISO image...

Anyway so that is why I need help, I don't know how I can get rid of the black screen so I don't have to always hold alt-option to get in to my computer.
    Please help if you know how to fix this. Thank you so much!!!

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Hold the Option key until the boot manager screen pops up, if you have a wireless Apple keyboard you might have the bug in OS X 10.8.3 and does not see the keyboard at startup.

If this is the case, start the iMac by pressing the Power key, then right away press the wireless keyboard Power key and right after this the Option key.

3. simsaladimbamba

Go to System Preferences > Startup Disk and select your Macintosh HD as startup volume, that way you do not have to press OPTION all the time.
    [​IMG]

And have you run Boot Camp Assistant to remove the botched Windows installation?

Maybe this almost click-by-click tutorial can help:
    Images are clickable, as they need to be in thumbnail size due to their width.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4=5, 5=6, 6=7
    [​IMG]

4. dplus thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks justperry but I want to get rid of the problem. I still have to press alt-option everything time I turn on.

thanks simsaladimabamba. But when I got to step 3...I can't select "Create or remove a Windows partition" I just have 3 options
    1. Create a Window 7 or later version install disk
    2. Download the lastest Window support software from Apple
    3. Install Windows 7 or later version

I got this computer from Westworld...So I am wondering if they did something with Window7 which when I purchase it they never told me anything about Window7

5. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

I misread a bit, I thought you couldn't boot at all.

You did what Simsaladimabamba said above, go to startup disk and select the HD to start from, if this does not help there is another way, not too complicated but it involves Terminal and adding a command to it.
    If it is not solved by the above procedure just say so and I will tell you how.

6. dplus thread starter macrumors newbie

I did do the startup disk and select the HD to start from and IT WORKS!!!
    Thank you so much justperry and simsaladimbamba

7. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

The reason was no disk (OS was blessed, if the System is not blessed it can't find the OS so it won't boot.

So, I guess the Terminal command is not needed:)

Good it's solved.

8. dplus thread starter macrumors newbie