NO BOOTABLE DEVICE - INSERT BOOT DISC AND PRESS ANY KEY

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Huddle, Sep 18, 2015.

1. Huddle macrumors member

I'm trying to install Windows 7 on my MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2011) by using a 16 GB USB. I just finished Bootcamp Assistant, but when the computer restarted I got that error message. I've tried restarting and holding the option key, but the ISO doesn't show up. What do? Thanks : )

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

3. Huddle thread starter macrumors member

4. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

That won't work. You need to burn the ISO file to a DVD and use the SuperDrive.

5. Huddle thread starter macrumors member

My SuperDrive likes spitting the DVDs out and saying I can't use them. Why won't it work?

6. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Using Boot Camp to make a bootable USB from the Win ISO will work with Win 8 and Win 10.
    I think it is more flaky for Win 7 - doesn't always work...
    You may need to use some other method to create a working bootable Win installer.
    Best plan will be doing that on a Windows PC, using some Windows app to do the job.

Did you get your Win7 ISO direct from Microsoft?

7. Huddle thread starter macrumors member

Yes I did. I got it through my university (Dreamspark).

8. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

It's in the MacBook firmware.
    MacBooks with optical drives can only install Windows from the optical drive.
    Doesn't matter which installer you use.
    You can thank Apple.

Here's a possible workaround but I've never tried it.
    http://www.jacobtomlinson.co.uk/201...7-on-a-2011-macbook-pro-without-a-superdrive/

9. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

Whether or not you can create a bootable USB installer for Windows is irrelevant in this case. You can easily do it with Windows 7 and onward. The problem is an Apple-imposed firmware restriction that prohibits using a flash drive to install Windows with Boot Camp on Macs that come equipped with a SuperDrive.