Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nkllr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2009
Michigan
I have a MacBook Pro 15" Mid-2009 2.53ghz running Lion and I recently tried to install Windows 7 through bootcamp. After rebooting and going through the boot up, it asked for drivers, so when I tried to eject the windows disk, it wouldn't. After finally resorting to holding down the trackpad while booting up, it ejected and showed the error in the title. I've tried holding the option key, zapping the PRAM, accessing disk utility through a key sequence, nothing worked (I even tried booting from my old snow leopard disk). I then plugged my HDD into an external casing and plugged it into another Mac, I deleted the partition. Nothing changed. Same error. I then backed up the drive and formatted it through the other Mac and plugged the blank disk in. SAME ERROR! I then tried to boot from the disk which I backed the original disk on. same error. I now cloned the back up disk to the original disk and am frustrated on what to do. I've tried holdIng option and zapping the pram from an external wireless AND wired keyboard. No cigar. Help appreciated.

nkllr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2009
Michigan
For those who might run into a similar problem, I did get it fixed. Out of frustration I swallowed my pride and made an appointment at the Genius Bar. It turns out that the PRAM did in fact need to be reset, but apparently my computer wasn't taking any external keyboards. The "genius" opened my computer and disconnected the internal keyboard. This allowed for an external keyboard to then be used. He plugged in an Apple keyboard and then shorted the circuit to get the computer to turn on. While I wouldn't recommend going inside your computer, it is possible to do by yourself.

Unscrew these two screws and take off cover:

K3QoNLwuVBPPVLEb.medium

Flip up keyboard cable retaining flap and pull ribbon cable straight out of socket (use of spudger recommended but you can probably check google for an alternative):

3XJxCAYoNNfSCncB.medium

Next, you want to plug in an external keyboard (Preferably Apple as I am not sure if a Windows-specific keyboard would work, but I don't see why not. Make SURE it's wired as with wireless, the connection is made well after the time period in which pressing option/alt on boot would be effective.)

To turn on the computer, you need to "jump-start" the computer as specified above. To do so, you need to connect with a wire, or some other type of metal which can conduct, the fifth pin on the ribbon socket from the left to the (silver colored) metal circle immediately to the left of the keyboard. This is the ground and will create a jump:

Pin5toGround.png

Immediately you need to awkwardly hold COMMAND+OPTION+P+R on the keyboard and the PRAM should be reset. It will then either just boot into Mac if you've taken the HDD out and deleted the BOOTCAMP partition on another computer or allow you to hold option and specify which drive/partition/device you would like to boot from. I don't know how tricky it'll be to hold the computer upside down and open while you jump-start the computer and hold command+option+p+r, so be creative.

All credit goes to iFixIt for the images.

I am not held liable/responsible if this causes any defects/damage to your Macbook Pro. If you don't know your way around the Macbook Pro I strongly recommend you take your Mac to the Genius Bar and they'll do it for you. Do not hesitate if you're not in warranty because I wasn't and they still did it.

Leave a response if this has helped you at all!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.