No Bootable Device -- Insert Boot Disk And Press Any Key

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by 53kyle, Jun 20, 2013.

1. 53kyle macrumors 65816

53kyle

I have been using windows 7 on my macbook pro for a few months perfectly but now I wanted to test os x 10.9 on it, so I partitioned my hard drive and now windows won't boot anymore. The windows partition shows up in finder, disk utility, and the startup pane in system preferences but holding the option key on startup only shows my mac partitions. If I choose windows from the startup pane and reboot it shows a black screen and says "No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key." If I delete the new 10.9 partition I can boot windows fine again but do you know any way other than deleting the 10.9 partition to boot windows? I have already tried blessing the windows partition with terminal.

2. 53kyle thread starter macrumors 65816

53kyle

3. 53kyle thread starter macrumors 65816

53kyle

4. Stooby Mcdoobie macrumors 6502a

Stooby Mcdoobie

You changed the partition map when you created the extra partition - essentially, Windows doesn't know where your Windows partition is anymore. It's possible to repair the map and make Windows bootable again, but it's not a quick and easy fix.

You can try to fix the issue yourself: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4144252?start=0&tstart=0

Or, you can just scrap the Boot Camp partition and start over - assuming there is nothing valuable (that isn't already backed up) on there.

P.S. It's always good to read everything thoroughly before you make any changes to your system. ;)

[​IMG]

5. 53kyle thread starter macrumors 65816

53kyle

YES! YESYESYESYESYESYES! This is exactly what I needed. When I asked a family member who is very tech smart, especially on mac, he also told me to read before making changes. I tried your suggestion and windows booted up like nothing ever happened! Thanks :)

6. Stooby Mcdoobie macrumors 6502a

Stooby Mcdoobie

Nice - glad you got it all sorted out.

7. Vlade macrumors 6502a

Vlade

Great link to the Apple forums, that worked perfect for me!