"No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key"

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by david401, Feb 4, 2014.

1. david401 macrumors member

Hoping someone can help me. Recently I did a fresh install of Mavericks on my 680MX iMac and when I went to reinstall windows 7 via bootcamp it doesn't boot into the "loading windows files" window after restarting. I tried installing with both the 64 bit disc that I have as well as an iso on a usb. I never had this problem with Mountain Lion. Any suggestions?

2. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Did you just get a gray screen followed by a restart back to OSX? If so, use boot camp assistant to put the ISO on the USB. I was using keys (that worked fine with other macs) that were made by the windows 8 upgrade program.

3. david401 thread starter macrumors member

No I just get stuck on a black screen with the error message. I have to force a restart then hold option to get back to OSX. I did use bootcamp assistant to put the iso on the USB. I remember this happened if you kept the drivers usb plugged in while you installed off the disc in ML, it was solved by simply leaving it unplugged. Unfortunately Mavericks gives you a message that won't let you partition until you have the usb plugged in.

4. jenzjen macrumors 68000

If you think that is the issue, you can still create 2 USBs via Mavericks. Unselect the last option (install Windows) and now you can create the ISO USB separately from the support software USB.