No bootable device- insert boot disk

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by n007hammer, Jul 22, 2015.

1. n007hammer macrumors newbie

So I was trying to install windows 7 from an authentic CD on my 2013 macbook pro retina. Since my mb pro does not have an internal dvd drive, I was using my external dvd drive purchased from the apple store. I was running bootcamp and the installation seemed to be going well. Then at one point it said it needed to restart. Upon restarting, it starts up and then goes straight to a screen that says "No bootable device- insert boot disk". I've done some google searching and the only resolutions I've seen are to hold down the Option key upon startup, but this has not worked for me. Does anybody have any suggestions, resolutions, or comments regarding this issue?

2. Cuniac macrumors 6502a

So, because you used a disk and did not create a Boot USB stick from that disk (It is the preferred method and there are instructions to do so on apples support page) It is entirely possible you erased you formatted your Mac and replaced it with windows. Shutdown the computer, then restart it while holding Apple and R at the same time. This should boot into recovery were you can try and see what happened and re-install Mac OS if needed. If this does not work, take it to an apple store or call Apple Care.

3. n007hammer thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the reply! I tried to boot in recovery mode as you said, and after I selected the wireless login, the loading bar took about 10 minutes, and then a circle with a dash through it appeared (denial sign). Does this mean I'm screwed? Is my only option at this point to take my MB pro into the genius bar?

4. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

I agree with Cuniac. You may have messed up your Mac OS volume. Did you run Disk Utility, while in recovery mode, to see if it could see the internal drive and how it is formatted and the number of files on it?

If the Mac volume configuration is messed up then you may have to re-format (erase) your drive (ALL FILES WILL BE LOST), install the OS, and recover you files from your back up. If Disk Utility can see your Mac drive and it is still in a Mac format, then you might try the Repair Disk.

5. Cuniac macrumors 6502a

Oh wow I have no idea. It's either there is an issue with your internet connection or the Apple server thinks this is not a Mac. At least that would be my guess I've never seen that before. What I would do is either call AppleCare if your under warranty, go to an Apple Store as they are way more lenient if your out of warranty or go to Starbucks and try it off there wifi, well really any other wifi network and see if it fails again.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Boot to Internet recovery by doing a command-option-r boot. Pick your wifi then you will see a spinning globe while the recovery utility downloads. Once that is done you will see the normal recovery screen. Then use Disk Util to select the drive brand name itself at the top of the left column then in the erase tab, format the drive to Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

Then quit DU and click reinstall OS. This will of course wipe any data that was on there.

If you are getting errors trying to use Internet recovery, there are some restrictions with the types of wifi it can use. See halfway down this page.