No bootable device

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by b2000b, Oct 20, 2011.

1. b2000b macrumors newbie

I have a mac pro that orginaly shipped with Leopard. I had a failed experiment installing Windows to the computer and now it will not boot into anything. All I get is the message "no bootable device". I have tried holding X during startup and found that OS X is gone. I have put in my Leopard disk and held C on startup but it dose not boot into the disk and goes right back to the error. I've tried holding the Option Key on boot and still, it just goes back into the "no bootable device" error. If I place the Lepoard CD in at the error, and press the "any key" It will not do anything, just sit there. Anyone have an idea of what is going on? Just recently I installed Windows on 3 Intel iMac's and one gave me the same error. However booting to the OS X disk worked on those.

2. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

What build shipped with the Pro originally? If it is older than the retail disc version you may not be able to boot it with the disc. If you have a 10.6 disc it will work or any newer build than the original factory restore discs shipped with.

3. b2000b thread starter macrumors newbie

I Mac Pro Shipped with 10.5, and I'm using a 10.5 install disk.

4. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

What??? There are MPs that ship with discs that aren't bootable on the hardware they ship with? Doesn't that defeat the purpose?

5. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

Reset PRAM OP. It should bring things back to normal - at least booting from DVD.

6. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

10.5.0? Or 10.5.1, 10.5.4, etc? Are you using factory restore discs (grey ones) or a retail copy (purple with an X on it?)

That is not what I said. Read closely. If OP is using a retail disc then yes, he may not be able to boot off the disc if his Mac Pro shipped with 10.5.4 and the retail disc is 10.5.2.

7. nambuccaheadsau macrumors 6502a

nambuccaheadsau

As derbothaus states you cannot go backwards and use an older install disc than what the machine shipped with.