No Bootable Device

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Stelised, Sep 30, 2012.

1. Stelised macrumors newbie

I have a mac Book Pro 17" A1297. Running Lion Now The Drive is formatted clean no recovery (Comm+R) Wont Boot off my Retail Os X Lion disk. But Will boot off a Ubuntu Disk and Windows Disks, I Don't have a fire-wire drive nor a pen drive. I have Tried to burn a copy of the install disk to see if it was too scratched or W/E is there something i am doing wrong and any help on this subject would be helpful. I will Include a list of start-up commands that i have tried

Command+R = Nothing there is no recovery partition
    C = Cant tell it it works or not as it will boot from a linux disk or windows disk w/o needing this held down

Command+V = Nothing

Option = No Startup manager sits at white screen then goes black and says no bootable device - Insert Boot Disk -and Press any key

Can I Pull the HDD from the mac and manual put the files from the retail disk on the HDD using a live distro of Ubuntu then partition the drives for apple osx and Reboot to install?

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Are you sure you have the correct OSX restore disc for your model of MBP?

3. Stelised thread starter macrumors newbie

The disk i have is a standalone retail installation disc like a install disk for win xp or win 7 the restore part was lost due to a bad HDD so what i need is a way to install using my retail disc i purchased from the apple store. or copy all the media to a partition and boot from the partition its self if that can be done.

4. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

Did the disk come with the mbp? If so, have you booted from it before?

5. Stelised, Sep 30, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2012

Stelised thread starter macrumors newbie

No it was purchased separate from the local apple store and I never opened it till now. however The MBP did come pre installed with 10.7.3 with a recovery partition on the old HDD that died.

6. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I don't believe OSX 10.7 ever came on a disc. I'm not sure what version of MBP you have, but if you're trying to boot it from a version of OSX that doesn't support the hardware, you'll run into issues like this.

----------

If your computer is new enough, it should be able to access Internet recovery. Plug it into Ethernet to avoid any wifi issues.

7. Stelised thread starter macrumors newbie

Even if my HDD is wiped clean nothing on it no Partitions empty space? my mac is a late 2011 model ill try it and post back to the fourms

8. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Correct, although I believe it has issues with WEP encrypted networks, which is why I suggested the Ethernet cable.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718

9. Stelised thread starter macrumors newbie

Well :( just tried it and no such luck all it does is sits at a blank white screen for a while then goes to no bootable devices -- insert boot disc and press any key.

Could it possibly be due to a caps lock issue the key wont turn off. and the green light stays lit had it turned off in mac osx lion but w/e i turned it on it would stay lit till the os booted.

I should also mention that the 200mg EFI partition was deleted as well. could this be preventing me frm using IR or any of the other startup commands

the commands for internet recovery is opt+command+r right ?
    also tried it with just command+r at boot?
    tried opt+n
    tried n
    tried c at boot to boot to disc
    tried opt at boot no response
    tried command shift d to watch the boot nothing shows up

just sits a a white screen and then goes black an says the above

10. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Internet recovery should work with a completely blank HD.

I'd be contacting Apple right about now, do you know if you have any warranty left?

11. Stelised thread starter macrumors newbie

no i do not have any tech support warranty left. By any chance am i hitting the combo wrong. I mean i hit command option r til the chime then let go but does nothing. should i hold it down longer and can my broke caps key be interfering with the key presses at startup.its broke in the on position.

12. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

You need to hold it down longer than that. Hold it until you see the globe indicator. Your caps lock key shouldn't affect this.

13. Stelised thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok i held the keys down untill i got to the no bootable device found error msg approx 50 seconds from the time i press the power button to the time it hits the error.

14. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

It sounds like you're going to need to take it in for service. It may be a quick fix, but I'm not sure where to go from here(I'm not familar with internet recovery, my mid 2009 doesn't have the capability). They won't charge you if they just look at your computer, and I suspect you still have warranty.

I noticed that there were a couple of EFI updates for your computer. Maybe one or both of them weren't applied and it contained a fix for issues related to internet recovery?

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1450
    http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1499