No Bootcamp Install - return MBA?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by gpeden, Jun 22, 2013.

1. gpeden macrumors regular

I've got about 10 days to resolve this because I didn't NEED to trade up from my 2012 MBA. For the sake of being able to run the small amount of specialty software for my RC hobby (windows only), I will revert back to the older model and return this one

I've always been able to work through a Bootcamp install, including a Fusion setup using the same partition on my MBP. Last August when my NBP died shortly after the extended NVidia/Apple warranty I ran out and got a mid-2012 MBA and installed everything from scratch. I did a straight Bootcamp install with a 32-bit Windows 7 and had no problems.

So when I got my new i7/8G/256G, who would have thought that a restore of Winclone wouldn't work on the new one because 64-bit was needed for it. Fine, I had the 64 bit disk and I can just install that from scratch too. I've been following the procedure for multiple attempts with no joy for my efforts. Hopefully someone can suggest something to try or point out what I'm doing wrong. Here's what I've been doing:

Per the manual,
    -Format an 8GB USB3 drive to FAT 32
    -Run Boot Camp Assistant with the following items selected:
    --download the windows support software and install to USB stick
    --install Windows 7 from a single install disk

The procedure stalls after the software is installed on the USB and it's time to run the DVD. It gives a black screen with an underscore cursor.

Upon reading the installation guide, I took the hint to disconnect the USB and external DVD drive and then restart holding down the option button. Once the boot drives are displayed, plug in the USB and DVD drives and then they show up on the screen. I select the windows option and quickly hit another key as instructed and the software installs. Once the "choose your language, etc." screen comes up, the harsh reality of neither the trackpad or mouse working rears its head.

I repeated all of that multiple times with the same result.

Then I read about a USB 2 drive being necessary. Since my last three purchases have been USB3, I first borrowed then purchased USB2 drives to try. Repeating the above procedure all over again with the USB 2 drives multiple times again, got a poorer result - the "select your culture" screen never comes, so it's actually worse with the USB2 drives.

I've also tried some USB mice to select continue on that first Windows install screen.

Questions:

- If I wanted to try an ISO file, I'm betting I can't get one for free, even with the product key and rightful ownership of a retail Windows 7 Home Premiium DVD?

- is there a chance that the ISO file => startup disk route would work?

- If so, I think I've heard of folks torrenting an ISO file, then using their own legitimate product key to register. Slightly shady as this is, much chance for success?

- I'm guessing that what's gong to happen is that sooner or later Apple will update bootcamp to get around this.

But for me, if I cannot update the parameters in an altitude limiting device for my RC gliders, or read altitude or motor controller logs with my 2013 MBA a couple of weeks from now, then I cannot sell my old MBA and there's no point in hanging onto the new one - not without knowing if and when this will be resolved. Win 7 boots up so nicely in my 2012 unit :)

I've read the other threads I could find, but I'm not able to fit their solutions to my situation.

Anyone got some ideas?

Cheers!
    Glen

2. Livewings macrumors regular

MBA 2013 only works in EFI mode exclusively for Windows.

3. gpeden thread starter macrumors regular

OK, that part I did not know - never found that in my reading.... thanks!

----------

I did try the EFI boot disk once, but will now try it with the USB 2 stick.

Glen

4. NbinHD macrumors 6502

What RC Hobby? Helis?

5. gpeden thread starter macrumors regular

Hi, I used to do electric heli's, but these days my passion seems to be electric powered gliders.

Glen

6. gpeden thread starter macrumors regular

EFI boot did not work - got message about not finding a bootable disk - insert and press key or some such thing.

Glen

7. NbinHD macrumors 6502

Sweet, nice to see another RC member on Macrumors.