No Bootcamp since 10.10.3

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Washac, Apr 17, 2015.

1. Washac macrumors 68020

Washac

Tried to boot into Bootcamp today first time since 10.10.3 update and get this message.
    -----------------------------
    You can’t change the startup disk to the selected disk.
    The bless tool was unable to set the current boot disk.
    -----------------------------

Any help would be good.

The drive with Bootcamp on was recently updated to Yosemite 10.10.3, so I am seeing that as the cause, but what would be the fix.

2. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

I would try resetting PRAM. What happens if you boot while holding down the OPTION-key and then select the bootcamp partition?

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

MOD NOTE: moved this thread to Windows, Linux & Others subform, as the fix is probably more generic than Yosemite.

I myself haven't actively used BootCamp in a while, so am out of date with this kind of stuff.

B

4. Washac thread starter macrumors 68020

Washac

Why do I not think of that ? not answer that :)

Resetting the PRAM did the trick, thank you for the obvious reminder :)

5. doynton macrumors 6502

Just out of interest, I use rEFInd as a boot loader. Every OSX upgrade I have had to re-install it. I never worked out why.

Thanks for the tip - I'll try try resetting PRAM next time :)

6. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

Glad I was able to help.

7. chrfr macrumors 603

This actually has nothing to do with Bootcamp. I've had several Macs at work which I've upgraded to 10.10.3 and afterward fail to boot, nor can the startup disk be set. Even the "nvram" command in terminal won't work until it's reset with the reset PRAM function.

8. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I'd agree with you if the reported symptom was "can't boot" over "can't boot into Bootcamp". Since the solution is to reset PRAM/NVRAM this actually belongs in Mac Basics and Help as it is not unique to Yosemite or even the 10.10.3 upgrade.

B

9. chrfr macrumors 603

I've never seen this corrupt nvram after installing an OS X update before, and I've been supporting Macs professionally since 1996. To have a roughly 20% rate of failure with this problem on 10.10.3 upgrade makes me think that it's more relevant to Yosemite than anything else.