No bootup after new hard drive install in 2010 iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by fritalian007, Jan 23, 2015.

1. fritalian007 macrumors newbie

Hello fellow Mac users.
    I have an iMac (Core i5 3.1 27-Inch, Mid-2011), running Mavericks which would no longer boot past a grey screen. After disconnecting all peripherals, zapping p-ram and attempting to boot, no change. However, there was an unusual clicking noise which led me to think that hard drive was the problem. After scraping the change from my sofa, I purchased the WD 4TB Black hard drive and installed it. 2 years ago, I replaced the hard drive on my 2008 iMac and it has been working like a charm ever since. No issues.
    I tested the old drive by inserting into an external drive enclosure and connecting it to my 2008 iMac. The drive clicked and snapped continuously and was never accessible.
    After the new drive was installed I attempted to boot from the original system disc (ctrl-c), but there was nothing but a grey screen again.
    When I attempted to boot from ctrl, I did see the prompt to boot from CD.

IMG_2456.JPG

When I clicked on the CD, the Apple logo was displayed.... and remained with no result.

IMG_2457.JPG

At first I questioned whether I properly seated the cable zif connector when I opened the machine but I don't think I would see a display at all if this was the case.
    I could hear the CD turning but I just can't seem to understand why I can't boot from the CD to the new hard drive.
    Is there something that I am missing here?
    Any feedback would be appreciated.
    Thank you.
    J-P

2. Command macrumors regular

Command

2011 iMac maxed out at 2GB config. I doubt you'll get a 4TB to acknowledge in that iMac. At least I can't find any documentation that shows otherwise.

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

4TB drives work in Intell Macs. They do not have a limit as to the maximum drive size that is reachable with modern technology.

4. fritalian007 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Command.
    Were you able to find about information regarding limited hard drive size for Intel iMacs?

----------

Hi Intell.
    Do you have personal experience with this? How do you know? Just trying to figure out if need to return the drive for a 2tb drive or keep looking for other possible solutions.

5. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

4TB are supported, the original mac pros and even a g5 was able to see 3tb-6tb drives no issue.

the only thing with some 2010s may be the temp sensor, but that wouldn't prohibited from booting.

Either the drive itself is not connected all the way, it may be doa, or the cd is unreadable?

can you target boot the 4TB iMac to a working mac and see if you can partition the new 4tb drive?

you may also try booting holding Command R and try internet recovery to initialize the drive in disk utility there.

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Yes I do have experience with this, but in a late-2009 iMac. It works without a problem.

7. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

Perhaps there's an issue with the install disc or the DVD drive? An install disc for a version of OS X that's older than came on the machine (or for a different model) may not work. A DVD drive can be a finicky thing (dust on the lens in particular, a scratched disc...). The problem you're having at the moment is not directly related to the HDD (outside of damage you may have done during the HDD replacement).

You describe your machine in the thread title as a 2010, but in the body of your post as a mid-2011. If it is either a mid-2010 or a mid-2011, once you get the thing up and running, consider updating the firmware so you can use Internet Recovery in the future: http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202313 That way, you won't be at the mercy of the DVD drive or need an install disc at all.

For that matter, perhaps the firmware update was installed. In which case, try booting with Command + R.