No bootup with lotsa USB devices plugged in?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hakr, Jan 23, 2009.

1. hakr macrumors regular

I have a Macally 7-port powered USB hub hooked up to my Macbook Pro. Four gigs of RAM in the Macbook Pro. Last year's model.

When I attempt to boot up with the 7-port device plugged into one of the Macbook Pro's USB ports, I get the usual responses...sound, Apple symbol, blue-ish screen, but it never gets to the log-in screen.

If I unplug the 7-port device, the computer boots up properly.

Plugged into the device: scanner, printer, external DVD writer, sometimes iPOD cable.

Any suggestions as to what may be the problem?

Thanks!

2. DaLurker macrumors 6502

I have had the exact same issues since as long as I can remember. Sometimes it will boot but more often then not it won't. I've learned to live with it so far because I rarely reboot my machine but if anybody has a solution I'm all ears!

3. bstreiff macrumors regular

Start with the hub empty and see if it works. Then add a device and try again. Then add another, etc. When it stops working, then you'll have a better idea as to which device is causing the problem.

4. hakr thread starter macrumors regular

Well, I may have found the problem.

One of my devices is an external hard drive hooked up via USB. The drive has an on/off switch. When I am not planning to use it, I usually do not have it turned on. So just for grins, I turned it on...and voila! Proper boot.
    Now if I can repeat this a few dozen times, I will have an answer.

But...I have no idea why this is the case.