No brainer game ports, where are they?

Discussion in 'Apple TV Apps' started by ErikGrim, Dec 6, 2015.

1. ErikGrim, Dec 6, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2015

ErikGrim macrumors 68030

ErikGrim

Where are:
    • GTA: Vice City
    • GTA: San Andreas
    • Bioshock
    • Sonic 1 + 2 + CD (The Christian Whitehead versions)
    • Atari's Greatest Hits
    • Another World
    • Final Freeway 2R
    • PacMan 256
    • Tiny Wings
    • Shooty Skies
    • Space Invaders Infinity Gene
    • Castle of Illusions Starring Mickey Mouse
    • DuckTales: Remastered
    • Pitfall
    • Galaga 30th Collection
    • PAC-MAN Championship Edition
    • Snowboard Party 2
    • Any racing game (preferably kart and arcade racers, split screen multiplayer please)
    You know, any game that would be enhanced by sitting in front of a huge screen with a controller in your hand.

Any you want to add? Suggestions of how to approach developers?

2. vajrakagyu macrumors member

vajrakagyu

3. Narcaz macrumors 6502

So far the big developers don't seem to embrace the Apple TV. Maybe Apple should have given out secret dev kits to them at the WWDC. And they have to support many new functions in iOS 9 and many new idevices this year. In contrast to this big market, the Apple TV is still a niche. And obstacles like the 200mb initial download limit and remote support aren't helping. But i still hope that the Apple TV apps start booming. I would like to see more console like games as Soul Calibur, Final Fantasy VII, Kotor, Terraria or Adventures of Pip.

4. ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

The AppleTV App Store is brand new. Some apps aren't worth porting over because most people who would buy the game already own it in iOS so it might not make financial sense. I'd look to sequels of those games or games with IAP to make their appearance on AppleTV.

I would say that I'm surprised Angry Birds hasn't made it in. Rovio is an iOS pioneer who were made big by the App Store. Angry Birds 2 is free and dependent on IAP so it's probably not far from being ported.

There'll be big push at WWDC for AppleTV now that it's not considered a hobby and is being given a big marketing focus.

5. LiveM macrumors 6502a

LiveM

The controller situation is a real obstacle. Any Bluetooth controller with common buttons should just work.

6. page3 macrumors 6502

And we still don't have categories (at least in the UK) so no-one can find anything anyway.

7. outphase macrumors 65816

The requirement of having the Apple TV remote be a valid controller is probably what's holding some games back.

8. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

I don't have a problem with them requiring MFi gamepads. In fact it makes it easier from a development standpoint since no matter who you buy yours from, it has exactly the same layout and functionality. (aside from the placement of the d-pad and left analog stick)

The real problem is that they require developers to support the remote. There's no way a complex game like GTA is coming to AppleTV while that requirement is in place.

9. ErikGrim thread starter macrumors 68030

ErikGrim

It's rather bizarre that they require MFI games to work with the Siri remote, yet allow Guitar Hero to require its own custom controller and not work with the remote at all.

10. Che Castro, Dec 8, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2015

Che Castro macrumors 603

I see gta 3 , vice city and San Andreas just came out on ps4
    I'm waiting to see if they come out for Apple TV ,I would like to buy them there instead of the ps4

11. FilmfreundCH macrumors newbie

FilmfreundCH

Missing are also - non-exhaustive:

- Ski Safari (1&2)
    - Sky
    - Grim Fandango (most point and click adventures really...)
    - Doodle Jump
    - Stunt Star
    - Temple Run (and other runners of course)

Those would be nice to play with the remote.

BTW: I was astonished how sensitive it is while playing my so far favorite "CubeRunner"...

12. Sakurambo-kun macrumors 6502

Sakurambo-kun

The SquareEnix catalogue would be a no brainer to port, especially as they're largely slow paced games which would work on the stupid remote.

Then again knowing Square, they'll make them new SKUs and charge £15 a pop for them all even if you own the iPad/iPhone versions.

13. machpost macrumors 6502

machpost

I would love to see a version of Temple Run for the Apple TV. It would be perfectly suited to the new remote.

14. babaroga73 macrumors regular

Out came Pac Man 256 , and Into the Dead ports , just yesterday!

15. babaroga73 macrumors regular

16. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Not only do they charge an arm and a leg, but they've gotten progressively lazier. FF I-IV were all remakes (albeit originally made for the PSP and DS). V and VI were SNES ports updated for touch. And with VII they just gave you on-screen controls to mimick the PS controller.

17. babaroga73 macrumors regular

Out came Afterpulse, GT Spirit and Dungeon Hunter 5 today

18. ErikGrim thread starter macrumors 68030

ErikGrim

My favourite Apple TV game Asphalt 8 had two full hours of updates yesterday (app update, bundle update, Area 51 bundle update). Is this what console owners go through?

Actually stupidly excited to see PacMan 256 there. Only found out through this thread. Had to trawl through my purchases to find it as it wasn't featured anywhere.

19. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

Some updates on consoles can take a ridiculously long time to download (and I'm on the fastest internet currently available in the UK) though I think that's more to do with server stress a lot of the time. but two hours seems like a crazy amount of time for something like Asphalt 8.

I've not tried it since the update but I hope they've improved their caching system to reduce load times.

20. babaroga73 macrumors regular

Yes, yesterday, during installing of Afterpulse and GT Spirit, every app was updating ... Everything was slow to a fault. It seemed they approved everything in that day, so...

21. ErikGrim thread starter macrumors 68030

ErikGrim

Yeah, and I'm on 100Mbps FTTH as well. Took way longer than downloading and installing the entire initial game which was done in less than 5 minutes.

22. mchoffa macrumors 6502a

The remote requirement is definitely bad. I don't understand why Apple can't just have a "Game controller required" label on certain games.

23. chobbles macrumors newbie

chobbles

I agree that the remote requirement is probably the major obstacle for many ports, but that Apple will eventually do away with it. Perhaps they just want to wait until there's a critical mass of users w/ MFi controllers so that they can be reassured they won't get hundreds of complaints from people who downloaded games and can't play them...

24. chobbles macrumors newbie

chobbles

Another thought: Eddy Cue has publicly confirmed that Apple is working on an all-new Remote app that will allow an iOS device to replicate all the functionality of the Siri Remote. Maybe that'll also have some MFi functionality built-in, and once that's out they can relax the controller restriction because virtually everyone who has an ATV4 will have access to at least that form of MFi control.

25. babaroga73 macrumors regular

I , for example, at the moment, don't have an iphone to go with my atv4 (i do have an ipad, though)