No-brainer... Good deal on this MacBook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by wangchunggti337, Jun 20, 2007.

1. wangchunggti337 macrumors regular

wangchunggti337

I realize this is pretty much a given, but just making sure.

I found a BlackBook on craigs. It's sealed in the box, never opened.

It's the last rev. Core 2 Duo, 120gb, 1gb ram.

Worth $1000 in cash?

Anything I should keep in mind or watch out for?

2. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

only the usual stuff:

50% of all apple listings are a scam.

so buy it only on a face to face deal. no shipping, no western union. if it's an out of area listing on craigs it's a scam. and bring a (strong) friend when you pick it up otherwise you have $1000 less and an empty box more.

3. WillMak macrumors 6502a

make sure you he can provide you with a receipt. My friend bought a Macbook off craigslist for way below market value only to find out that it had harddrive issues. However, without any form legal ownership/receipt he can't get it fixed. The guy wouldn't pick up any of his calls and we have concluded that there is a strong possibility that it might have been stolen.

4. WannaGoMac macrumors 65816

FYI, friend bought that EXACT model from Apple Refurb for $1049
    And he can now buy FULL applecare afterwards.

Seems like it isnt worth it to me.... rather get it refurb from apple. Less risk.

5. wangchunggti337 thread starter macrumors regular

wangchunggti337

It's still sealed in box, I would get to buy it face-to-face.

If I got the receipt then is it worth it?

Talk it down to $900?

6. WannaGoMac macrumors 65816

Can you get Applecare?

Otherwise there is no way I would get it when i could get one direct from apple for 1049.

7. wangchunggti337 thread starter macrumors regular

wangchunggti337

The advantage of this is that it is not a refurb, and it is sealed, never used, at a price less than refurb.

A refurb with tax is roughly $1100.

I would have the remaining AppleCare from the purchase date, which was around December of 2006. I am also pretty sure I'd be able to extend the warranty with AppleCare.

Anything else I should watch out for?

Do I need the receipt for sure?

8. wangchunggti337 thread starter macrumors regular

wangchunggti337

Tonight is the best night for the seller to meet up this week, so if anyone could offer some suggestions, much appreciated.

9. WannaGoMac macrumors 65816

If you're comfortable with the price, that it isn't stolen, and you are certain you can get applecare, then it sounds like you have everything taken care of....

10. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

Bring a glock. Because by meeting him one thing he knows about you for sure is you are carrying $1000.

11. basicfiend macrumors member

I buy laptops off Craigslist all the time -- refurb them and list them on ebay /craigslist for slight profit.

Apple store will transfer ownership over to you with little hassle if you explain you just bought it off craigslist.

If I'm not sure about ownership, my test is whether the person knows the password for the computer. (Unless it's a clean install, and then I just want to take the recovery disks.)

Keep in mind that you can call AppleCare (1-800-APL-CARE) to check the serial number if you're in doubt about the ownership or whether the computer is still under warrantee.

Remember to get the remote, installation disks, passwords, power cord (with extension cord and duck), and case (if applicable). Original box and receipt are great too, but some people don't keep them and you shouldn't pass up a good deal b/c of it.

Also, even if it's still under warranty, AppleCare doesn't cover spill damage. So look around the keyboard / take out the battery and look around battery compartment for any spill damage.

12. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Insist that the seller open the box and start the machine up.

Take a friend with you.

13. wangchunggti337 thread starter macrumors regular

wangchunggti337

So I found out he doesn't have the receipt, but everything else seems legit.

14. amc382 macrumors regular

the real question: are you brave?

i'm a wimp, so would rather get it from apple than from some sketchy guy giving too good a deal online.

maybe he's selling stolen stuff?

15. kmarketing macrumors 6502

Agreed, I've heard of stories where people have put in bricks in these sealed boxes, and ran off as they made the exchange.

Good Luck though!

16. WannaGoMac macrumors 65816

I wouldn't touch it without proof of original purchase. If he bought it on credit card, his credit card statement will have it listed.

Then again, i would get refurb rather than someone one off of craigslist.... this sounds sketchy to me.

17. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

Let's see:
    1) Brand new in a sealed box
    2) purchased December 2006

I wouldn't trust this transaction.

Can you afford to write off $900-$1000?? If not, buy the refurb from Apple with 365 days of warranty and the option to buy applecare AND the option to return it if you are not 100% satisfied.

BE CAREFUL!!!!!

18. wangchunggti337 thread starter macrumors regular

wangchunggti337

Hey everyone, thanks for the suggestions.

I did talk to him in person and have his correct phone number and will make sure to get his address. He was not a good negotiator and I got the impression he doesn't do this often (sell things on craigslist). He was a nice guy, but I guess everyone is, haha.