No Brightness Control (Fixed ?)

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Washac, Oct 5, 2010.

1. Washac macrumors 68020

Washac

Hi All

Over the last few years I have read of a few people experiencing the problem of the brightness control via the F1 & F2 keys
    not working, and the brightness slider control in display prefs just is not there anymore.

I have had this problem for the last few years along with these other people that are out there if you search about the net.

All the normal resets pokes and prods do not solve the problem, keyboard and ACD all checked on another machine and all work fine.

Has anybody seen or heard of a fix for this annoying glitch which I assume is something to do with the OS because of the missing slider
    control in display prefs.

2. bluesteel macrumors 6502

from what i know, if the USB part of the ACD cable is not plugged into the computer's USB port, the brightness control slider in system preferences does not show up. so either your USB cable isn't plugged in, you have a bad USB port on the computer, or the USB part of the ACD cable has problems.

have you tried shutting down the computer, re-seating the USB part of the ACD cable in the USB port (maybe try a different USB port), and then starting the computer back up? Reset the power management?

3. lbeck macrumors 6502

lbeck

This just happened to me with my new 27" ACD. All I had to do was plug in the USB from the ACD to my macpro and the brightness controls worked.

4. Washac thread starter macrumors 68020

Washac

Hi

If I state that the ACD works on other comps and the keyboard also, do you not think that I know that the USB has to be connected.

And yes I have tried all the USB ports on the Mac Pro.....

5. lbeck macrumors 6502

lbeck

Whoa, calm down buddy. You'd be surprised, people are just trying to help. You catch more bees with honey than $!@*

6. mjsmke macrumors 6502a

Im running 2 HP monitors and cant access the brightness bar in OSX. Never bothered me as i can adjust it from the monitor. Plus once calibrated iv'e no need to re adjust.

Maybe it only works with certain screens?

7. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

From what I understand, the Mac OS X Brightness controls ONLY work with Apple-branded Cinema displays, and do not work with 3rd party displays. The brightness controls on the keyboard won't work if you have a 3rd party display, it only works with Apple displays.

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Apple's accessories are made with one important yet simple goal in mind: make using their own products easier. So those play buttons are for iTunes, the brightness controls for their own monitors, and the eject button only works on Macs.