No bus/walking directions

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by RKilbane20, Sep 13, 2012.

1. RKilbane20 macrumors 6502a

I didnt see anywhere for the new maps app that it includes walking or bus directions/schedule. That was a huge feature in maps I feel like.

2. spblat macrumors 6502a

spblat

It's there, but you're half-right. There's no "edit" button once you have directions. But if you hit the directions button at top left you can tell it you want walking or transit directions. If you ask for transit directions it tries to show you a list of apps that do transit routing, and the list is empty. :confused:

3. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

There's no public transportation data in ios maps. It's a huge blow to anyone living in a large city with decent public transportation.
    I haven't tried it yet but hopefully there's an easy way to make a shortcut app to maps.google.com that will still provide that info, although I don't think it would automatically open up within other programs. :(

4. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

Don't think it was ever available in the UK. I live in a large city (Newcastle) which has a decent public transport service and it was never available. It never worked in London either.

5. cal6n macrumors 68000

cal6n

@bbfc:

It's always worked really well in Brighton and I really miss it already. Much as I distrust google, I hope they release a standalone app soon.

Apple's maps feature much better cartography than google's. They load, zoom and pan much faster but, without public transport integration like google's, they're just so much useless fluff.

6. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

iOS 6, never supported it. But google maps, AFAIK, has always offered public transportation directions in the US. I'm not sure about Newcastle, but Google maps, shows the public transportation option there and I know I've used it in London before.

Attached Files:

7. ManuCH macrumors 6502

Am I the only one thinking that Apple will not let Google publish an alternative maps app because it's too similar to the stock app and might confuse people? They have rejected other apps for the same reason.

They would probably accept it if it only provided bus and walking directions, but no plain map.

8. RKilbane20 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thats really annoying, when I was out in LA without a car I relied on my iPhone to tell me when and where the buses were to get me to where i needed to be. This is a huge feature lost for big city people.

9. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

I think Apple, in its haste to rebel against everything Google, map a very poor decision doing this. I agree that they will reject every map app that Google tries to publish.
    This author on Forbes thinks Apple will have to return to Google maps in a few years. Interesting thought, but the blinded rivalry runs pretty deep between the two and Apple is not known to point out their mistakes or admit defeat.
    Yeah good luck in LA without Google maps and using public transportation. :eek:
    You'll just have to open safari and save maps.google.com as an icon whenever you need it.

10. nfl46 macrumors 603

Lets be honest...you really expected Apple to implement all the Google Maps features in the Apple version straight out the gate like that? That's so unlike Apple. You may have to wait on a 6.x release for that. I can definitely see that being in 6.1 or 6.2 update in a few months.

11. Orange Crane macrumors 6502

Many major cities have a city specific app for tracking and planning transit trips that gives more useful / up to date info and links to additional regional transit services. If you use transit regularly you'll be well served to have your city's (county, provider, whoever) transit app in addition to whatever iOS / Google map you like. I use one bus away in Seattle and Pdx bus in Portland.

12. nonamelive macrumors member

nonamelive

I use walking directions all the time. This is a disaster. I hope Google release a new map app soon!!

13. cal6n, Sep 13, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2012

cal6n macrumors 68000

cal6n

I agree and I'm sure that Apple's implementation will kick google's arse eventually but that doesn't help users now.

For now, I'm rolling back to iOS 5 on my iPhone 4. I've been looking forward to the iPhone 5 but this is a deal-breaker for me. I'll have to wait until either google release their standalone maps app for iOS or Apple sort out theirs.

Walking directions are there, IIRC, it's just the public transport that's missing.

We have one for Brighton's busses. It's great for sorting out times when you know your route or are out and about in general. It's useless for providing a point to point route involving a mixture of walking and one or more bus journeys, though.

14. MacDevil7334 macrumors 6502a

MacDevil7334

Walking directions still work fine. It's only public transit that has been removed.

15. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Just tried the walking option here and it works, although like Google it tries to send me up a "cars only" street :rolleyes:

16. BobVB macrumors 6502a

BobVB

Yeah putting in fluff like flyovers and dropping the meat and potatoes like transit was really dumb. Mymonly hope is they won't block a stand alone Google map, it cant duplicate functions the Apple app doesn't have.

17. macklos macrumors member

macklos

I get that they want to work with developers and tie in to dedicated navigation apps. But to not have this sorted out before release is pathetic. Nextbus in the US provides data for a plethora of transit options and would be easy to tie in directly with the maps app. Oh and how about bike routes! Major fail Apple!!!

18. FineFuturity macrumors member

Me being a UT Austin student, I heavily relied on the public transportation part of the Maps app on iOS 5. While iOS 6 is nice, not having this feature present is a big deal for me, as it is for a lot of other people in big cities.

My roommate actually stumbled upon the MapQuest app on the App Store, and judging from what I saw when we messed with it, it's actually pretty damn nice. It does way more than what the Maps app ever did in iOS 5. I recommend that you guys get this app as a replacement for Maps in iOS 6, since Apple's offering isn't really quite up there just yet.

19. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Being honest, I expect updates to increase functionality, not decrease it. If it wasn't ready yet, Apple shouldn't have released it just to spite Google. In the end it's the consumer that ends up losing until that functionality is replaced.

20. IcyStorm macrumors regular

21. spblat macrumors 6502a

spblat

It's an approach that flies in the face of the "Apple wants to own everything" stereotype. They know they're not in a position to bring together *all* transit data, so they make it possible to rely on the transit providers themselves.

And by the time iOS 6 actually drops, I bet there's a Google Maps app you can download.

22. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I'm really disappointed that there is no bicycle routing. Google's isn't the greatest, but at least it's a starting point. Here's hoping that Apple does something about it and quick.