No Buttons on iPhone 8

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pr0230, Sep 19, 2016.

1. pr0230 Suspended

Since Apple has gotten rid of the headphone jack, what about the Mute button, volume buttons, AND the on and off button...

How often do you change volume with the volume buttons, I Very rarely do...
    As for turning the unit on and off the home button could do that... HOLD IT 3 seconds...
    And the mute button, Is that still on the 7, And if so, WHY?

I don't think the home button is going anywhere, and will be the same for the next 2 years...

2. lancastor, Sep 19, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2016

lancastor macrumors 6502a

You always need two real hardware buttons to do a hard reset or go into DFU mode.

I often use the mute switch and the volume rocker. But I have no problem when the mute switch or volume rockers gets removed in iPhone 8. I don't need any mechanical parts in my iPhone.

3. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

4. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I think it could be done. Less moving parts the better.

5. veedubshafer macrumors 6502

I use all the buttons and the switch everyday.

6. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

7. nilk macrumors 6502a

I use the mute switch daily (arriving and leaving work), and it's one of the things I've always loved about the iPhone. I can simply reach into my pocket and physically tell whether or not it's on vibrate, and can turn it on or off without the phone leaving my pocket. If they did get rid of it, hopefully they could do I could do something similar without the phone leaving my pocket (e.g. haptic feedback), and I'd hope they'd give us automatic muting like you can have with Android (e.g. auto-mute on schedule, or when detecting specific WiFi, or NFC token, etc).

I use the volume buttons frequently. I have volume buttons configured NOT to affect ring volume -- ring volume is always at max. Volume buttons only control app volume, which is very useful to me.

I'm using power button a lot less with raise to wake. It became necessary to use on the 6S for when I just want to see notifications (Touch ID became so fast that I couldn't just tap home button), but iOS 10 changed that a bit. But I'd still need a way to trigger it manually when raise-to-wake doesn't trigger.

8. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

No thanks, I use ringer/mute and volume all the time. And the power button literally every time I use the phone...so waiting three seconds to lock the screen would be a major annoyance.

Getting rid of those buttons makes no sense, because they take up zero valuable real estate. The home button is the only thing making the 7+ as tall as it is, because Apple wants symmetry and a circular home button which means you get tall top and bottom bezels. No home button means they can cut it way down, to something like the height of the rear camera (Which likely can't fit on top of the screen.)