Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
It is funny how everyone complains that you can't get rid of certain apps on the iPhone. So apple minimizes the standard apps and people are complaining. Log onto the app store and download one of the free ones and be happy.

Tell me about it. The default weather and stocks apps are mostly worthless and I wish I could delete them. The calculator is OK, but not a huge deal. It's also more important on a phone than on a tablet since you may need to add stuff while out on the go.

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
The only exception is the clock app. I absolutely do not understand why they did not include that. Now the only way to have an alarm clock on the iPad is to get an alarm clock app which has to remain open to work. Hopefully iPhone OS 4 brings something that will fix that issue.

This is my view exactly. The clock app is essential, given that a third-party app can't run in the background.

AdLib

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2010
No calculator on the iPad... seriously, Steve??!!

C'mon. That's an excusable exclusion.

malcolm233391

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2009
Why don't you just download one of the many free calculator apps in the app store???????????????????????????????????????????

California King

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2007
I know what you mean. It's the 1st gen iPod Touch all over again...they didn't have mail, notes, stocks, and some other apps.

AdLib

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2010
i persoanlly, like not having apps forced on me. i wish i could take some of the apple apps off actually

lol True. I see time and time again a complaint about the weather and stocks app on the iPod Touch.

Okay. I guess to save memory, a calculator app isn't essential... but handy. I use to use hit the "calculator" button on my PC, when I was a PC guy.

GamecockMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2005
Columbia, SC
If Apple manages to deliver a perfect, flawless device someday in the future, there will be people complaining that there is nothing to complain about. :rolleyes:

drjsway

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2009
The tech sites got it spot on w/ some of their complaints:

http://dvice.com/archives/2010/04/20-biggest-grip.php

No way would a non-Apple product get a free pass. I guess "Morty Seinfeld's Tip Calculator" app will do. lol

Some of these complaints don't even make sense. Why is the headphone jack on the top and not the bottom? Someone missed the "there is no right way to hold it" video. Turn it upside down, genius.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
Actually, more egregious is the lack of a clock app! No alarm! Downloadable apps can't solve this problem (yet) because you can't run them in the background.

ippikiokami

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2010
Technically by leaving these and iBooks out they can boost their initial app download numbers.

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
I own pcalc for iPhone on my iPod Touch and was pleased to find that there was an iPad version of my favorite calculator. Back when I used Pcalc lite I had no complaints and I really bought it to support a fine product by a great developer.

To me the greatest omission was the lack of access to the filesystem. I spent quite a bit of money the first few days buying apps that claimed to solve this problem, including Goodreader, Air Sharing, and file browser. None work as well as I would like but Goodreader comes closest. I wish I had bought that one first as it's only 99 cents. And this won't be solved when multitasking comes with os 4.0. If I want to launch air sharing and leave the server running so I can transfer some files in, then launch remotetap to go to my Mac and copy some files to my iPad, (without walking downstairs to the basement), I'm out of luck as this feature isn't on Apple's list of things they support for "background" apps. It's not enough to make me take my iPad back but I might decide I need the 3G version so I can use dropbox from anywhere to get files on and off my iPad.

As for the alarm thing, can't you set an appointment in calendar and have your iPad wake you up for that?

Technically by leaving these and iBooks out they can boost their initial app download numbers.

I'm not sure this was necessary. I spent a lot of time downloading apps and I didn't really bother much with iPhone apps. They are pretty sparse looking compared to native iPad apps so I wouldn't argue that Apple left things out "on purpose" to spur download stats. I would think most iPad owners are going to download a crapload of apps, especially since there are a great many good quality free apps. BTW, be careful of paid apps and assuming they are high quality. Always read the reviews and hesitate if you see a lot of 1's. This usually indicates an unstable app or an app that is merely a web shortcut. There is a periodic table that is like that. You get the element, its atomic number and series but as soon as you try to get more info you get taken to wikipedia or you go to a screen asking for your email address to be notified when the "real" app becomes available. Watch out for cost as well. There is a $14 periodic table app. I don't care how nice it is, I'm not ready to part with that much for it right now.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
I own pcalc for iPhone on my iPod Touch and was pleased to find that there was an iPad version of my favorite calculator. Back when I used Pcalc lite I had no complaints and I really bought it to support a fine product by a great developer.

To me the greatest omission was the lack of access to the filesystem. I spent quite a bit of money the first few days buying apps that claimed to solve this problem, including Goodreader, Air Sharing, and file browser. None work as well as I would like but Goodreader comes closest. I wish I had bought that one first as it's only 99 cents. And this won't be solved when multitasking comes with os 4.0. If I want to launch air sharing and leave the server running so I can transfer some files in, then launch remotetap to go to my Mac and copy some files to my iPad, (without walking downstairs to the basement), I'm out of luck as this feature isn't on Apple's list of things they support for "background" apps. It's not enough to make me take my iPad back but I might decide I need the 3G version so I can use dropbox from anywhere to get files on and off my iPad.

As for the alarm thing, can't you set an appointment in calendar and have your iPad wake you up for that?

Dunno about the calendar, but I will try it out, thanks for the tip. On the other hand, having a calendar item on my agenda for every day is a little crappy, IMO.

Sleazy E

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2009
Disneyland
You are whining like a little girl over the lack of a calculator app which can be downloaded for free on the app store? Wow.... Just wow :D

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
Dunno about the calendar, but I will try it out, thanks for the tip. On the other hand, having a calendar item on my agenda for every day is a little crappy, IMO.

That's why they call it "bleeding edge". When you buy first gen gadgets, gimpy workarounds are the rule rather than the exception.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.