No calls when on EDGE??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by silbeej, Dec 26, 2007.

1. silbeej macrumors 6502a

So when i'm on EDGE, i will not get any incoming calls. I figured this out as i was doing laundry one day at school, and i was on the iPhone to pass the time, and as i turned it off and then went back to it, i had a missed call. I just tried it a minute ago, was updating the weather app on it and called with another phone, and it didn't ring, went right to voicemail. Anyone got any info on this??

Thanks

2. chriswheat macrumors regular

There's no info to be had. It's pretty straight forward.

No calls can be received while you are using edge.

You already answered your own question.

3. BigDaddy5 macrumors member

You know, I live in WA, and nowhere there can I receive a call while on edge. However, I flew through Detroit recently, and was in the airport browsing on the web on edge, and I had a call come through. It was the damnedest thing, but there are some areas where it works.

There are two types of EDGE network, NOM1 and NOM2. Most of the EDGE network, in the US anyway, is NOM2. This means your call will go straight to voicemail, and you will not be able to answer it. I had not, however, heard of any NOM1's prior to my trip through Detroit. I didn't bother verifying anything, I just kept going about my business, but hopefully that should give someone some faith.

4. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

^ it has nothing to do with the area,

when using edge to download a page or something you cannot get a call. However if you are just reading something, and it doesnt require data to be transfered, for example the page is already rendered and you are reading it, then you will be able to receive a call!

5. larkost macrumors 6502a

Nope, BigDaddy5 is correct, it does depend on the tower you are working from. If you are connected to a tower set to NOM1 then your data connection will be interrupted if you get a call, otherwise a voice call will not interrupt a data session, and vise versa.

6. silbeej thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the info. I was going to call a BS on the Apple TV ads, but i watched one again, and they are on wifi, so thats how the calls at the end come in. Darn fine print again, stuff slips in under the radar. Well thanks for this.

7. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

It is not just a matter of having a cell region with NOM-1 turned on (and I don't know of any in the USA).

The phone would also have to know how to handle an incoming voice page that has been piggybacked onto the data channels.

As someone else mentioned, it's far more likely that you had a pause in downloading.

8. forstle macrumors newbie

Verizon BlackBerry

For what it's worth, some people at work have Verizon Blackberries that they tether to their laptops to get internet and they can't get any calls when doing so.

9. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Verizon is not set up for simultaneous data/voice either.

At this time, only AT&T's 3G implementation gives that capability in the USA.

10. aridon macrumors member

EDVO Rev A through Sprint does as well.

11. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

I don't believe so, unless you have a link from Sprint itself saying otherwise.

Rev A documents simply say that it is a stepping stone towards that goal, which caused a lot of non-techies to start this rumor by reading more into it than what's actually possible.

EVDO does allow incoming calls to interrupt data, however.