no camcorder app?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by superspiffy, Sep 22, 2008.

1. superspiffy macrumors 6502a

Why hasn't anybody created a camcorder app for the iPhone yet?

2. iPhoneJoe macrumors member

cycorder is on cydia. apparently he tried to submit it to app store and got denied

3. iphonecode macrumors member

4. yode macrumors 6502

it wont be on the app store since it messes with the iphone's os. only option is to jailbreak

5. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

what problem? how is that a problem?

6. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

What does it do to the OS? I've been hoping for a camcorder app and never understood why there aren't any on App Store, yet.

7. Bernie-Mac macrumors 65816

It proveides a great video recording app, thats all it does, jailbreak and unleash the endless possibilities of your iPhone

8. Cyroceon macrumors 6502a

Cyroceon

I don't think they will ever allow a camcorder app. Apple wants to unlock this, just as they do many other "missing" features.

9. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

Video Recording was never offered or listed as an option for the iPhone 2/3g
    Researching the iPhone via google or any of the numerous iPhone websites before purchasing it would have shown that the iPhone may not meet your needs as a mobile device. :eek::eek::eek:

Much like the missing copy/paste, voice recording, 10gigapixel camera w/Flash and 50x digital zoom, tethering option, mms, Full M$ Office suite, et al the iPhone is NOT the answer to a lot of peoples needs as a all-n-one mobile device.
    We have learned to accept its short comings and work with it. aka We enjoy the :apple:kool-aid:apple: :D

10. pj rage macrumors 6502

I don't think it "messes with the iphone's OS." To my knowledge, Jay (Saurik) used the official apple SDK when he created cycorder (the first time) and it met the rules apple set forth for the app store. I don't think he ever heard back? Or was denied for some other BS reason that apple is giving out to all of the truly awesome apps. Just jailbreak if you want video recording capability.

11. neesh0 macrumors 6502a

neesh0

jailbreak will give you a great video app and a lot more

12. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

They could still release it as an iPhone 'App', would take a little work on their behalf but I think people would be willing to pay.
    I bought podcaster and it installed via iTunes just fine. Took all of 12 hours from the time it was requested to delivery. for an Ad-hoc set up that seems fine.

13. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

When you use this camcorder app on Cydia - where are the videos stored? How do you use them / retrieve them? Can you play them back right on the phone?

14. phannon666 macrumors regular

From what I know, there is no API for the camera itself, all you can do is tell it to take a photo. So until Apple includes such a thing in the SDK or adds it themself, it aint happening.

15. Riemann Zeta macrumors 6502a

Right. I think Apple doesn't provide any way of accessing or interfacing with lower-level hardware APIs in the "official" SDK, so the JB video-cam App uses the dev-kit reverse engineered APIs. Pity Apple is being so pissy about what kind of Apps can be on the store. Basically, nothing can upstage their built-in Apps...yet having 32 different flashlights and 14 different apps to tell you to keep drinking beer is alright.

16. MST macrumors 6502

MST

Firstly, let me say that I have Cycorder on my 2G and although I don't use it probably as much as I could I think it's a fantastic app that really shows off the potential of the iPhone's tiny 2MP camera, so props to Jay for developing it.

When you record a video clip using Cycorder it is stored in the Camera Roll in just the same way as a picture taken using the Camera app is; only when you select the video thumbnail it plays the video you've recorded rather than just showing a static image.

Answer your questions?

17. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Ya, kinda. Thanks man.

Are you able to get those videos on your PC? What's the quality like?

18. pj rage macrumors 6502

As far as I can tell from what Saurik has said, he used some device drivers and the camera buffer, which is not allowed by apple, and submitted it anyway (maybe hoping they would make an exception or allow him to make an argument or whatever) and apple never acknowledged it in any way. It's definitely a shame.

19. almasinfe macrumors member

almasinfe

goddamn you sir..... i feel like a jerk off...... i dont want this ****ing phone anymore.... :-( not cool apple ......

20. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

you can get them to your pc, but that takes setting up another process. The quality of the video is amazing. It's comparable to the quality of video taken from a digital camera. Simply put it's the best video I've seen on any mobile device. Even in low light it is clearer than the camera in the same condition. I was pleasantly suprised.

21. kevingaffney macrumors 6502a

Cant see why everyone is so hung up on video recording on mobiles. For the most part most of the stuff on utube is shot on mobile phones and the image quality is usually awful. I got myself a canon tx1 camcorder, a tiny device with excellent quality video. Have all my important video saved on iphone in a quality I'm more than happy with. Camcorder is little bigger than a mobile

22. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

while the quality is not that great it is good for fun stuff. It's not meant to take let's say, your wedding video. Plus it's a standard feature on most mobile phones. I'm not too sure you can carry a camcorder on you at all times.

23. wenglish macrumors member

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but how do you install Cycorder on a 1.1.4 jailbroken original iPhone?

I can't find it in installer or in Cydia. Given that it was written by the same author as was Cydia I would have expected it to be visible by default and not need additional source(s) set up.

Or is it not available to iPhones running 1.x firmware?

Thanks ... Mike

PS I'm familiar with installing stuff via Installer, just can't seem to figure out which source I need, or how to find it in Cydia.

24. Cyroceon macrumors 6502a

Cyroceon

That would be my number 1 concern. I don't think I would even want a camcorder because of the inherent limitations it would have. Not only in quality, but it would definitely lack in abilities i.e. transfer to computer, send to other smartphone/iPhones, etc...