No capacitive home button (part leaks)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jfrancis04, Sep 13, 2011.

1. soco macrumors 68030

soco

Eh jeez. Oh well, hopefully it's just a misunderstanding. I was getting intrigued by the new home button idea.

2. jfrancis04 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Lol. Why do I get negative rep for just posting an article?

3. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Welcome to MacRumors forums.

4. wtmk81 macrumors member

I gave you a positive to pull you back to even par for the round.

5. jfrancis04 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Haha. Thanks. I'm still trying to get used to how things work around here.

6. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Thank God... that capacitive home button design always looked bad to me.

7. Daniel97 macrumors 6502a

okay so to confirm - this part doesnt have a physical button ... it leads us to believe its touch screen?

8. charliecc macrumors regular

If you post something people don't want to hear you get neg rep, even if it's most likely true. I've posted several times how the iPhone 5 will be exactly the same form factor as the iPhone 4.

It's fairly obvious now this will be the case, but people don't like to hear it because they have some misguided belief that what they want will happen, so they give you bad rep. Watch this post go negative.

9. daviddth macrumors 6502a

daviddth

I dont know that it will be fairly obvious, but there will be an iPhone 4 style phone available when the next phone comes out. We are only guessing if it will be the iPhone 5, or the upgraded, but cheap-end iPhone 4.

The 3GS is still available as the cheap phone, so it makes sence to retire that design, slot a base-model 4 there, and have the iPhone 5,in whatever design it comes in, as the premium model phone.

I am hoping for a redesign, but I'm not 100% sure that will happen, and I do like the 4's current design, but I want a bigger screen, thats all.

10. turkleton macrumors newbie

I'm using a Motorola Milestone (Droid) for 1,5 years now and all I can say is:
    Capacitive control buttons suck!

I really hope Apple will stick with the normal click button. I'm really looking forward to get rid of my slow and buggy android handset!

11. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

I hope Apple is smart enough to leave the traditional home button (or one like it) for the foreseeable future.

12. korndawg macrumors regular

I'd rather have a physical button, however if this is true, that means no redesign for the upcoming phone :mad:

13. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Why? I've used an HTC incredible and I really like not having any buttons excluding the power/lock screen button on top.

14. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

Because I don't want a button the can function with an accidental touch that turns off the screen. Also I have found that my thumb naturally rests there when I am reading on the screen but about to navigate or type.

15. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Agreed.

Me too. I've only recently noticed it, but my thumbs rest on the bottom bezel when I am reading. If a capacitor button was there, I would keep on accidentally pressing it.

16. iMattcotv macrumors 6502

iMattcotv

ORR>...

Instead of ditching the capacitive button.......

Apple can make a hybrid.

Physical + Capacitive =

regular actions like
    0. tap closes app / switches to spotlight/main page
    1. double tap opens app switcher
    2. hold opens voice control

then advanced actions like
    3. press & swipe left/right switches between apps
    4. press & swipe up/down opens notification center

and in settings, have an option to either enable or disable whether or not you want to physically press the home button & swipe, or to just swipe.

17. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

You, nor anyone else can say that anything is "fairly obvious". From day one we've been hearing of a cheaper 4S model coming along with a redesigned flagship device. I don't know what the final outcome will be, but I will say this..Given what happened with the iphone 4 "left at a bar" fiasco that happened last year, I would surmise that Apple execs. were furious beyond belief. And I am sure they vowed that something like this would never happen again. So it is not so far fetched to believe that a completely redesigned iPhone 5 is out there. One that was kept so tightly under wraps, with "top-secret" status that is on par with, or even exceeding some of our governments top-secret military projects. In fact, I believe that it's exactly what Apple would do if such a device did in fact exist. This isn't just a phone. It's BILLIONS of dollars. And with all the new technology and heavy competition breathing down Apple's neck, A company with BILLIONS of dollars is going to take every precaution possible (in a unique Apple kind of way) to ensure 1) that another "lost" device doesn't turn up on Gizmodo. And 2) That they surprise everyone with a jaw dropper of a device.

I know all the rumors are pointing towards a 4S or refreshed iPhone 4 and a lot of people are believing it. But sit back, take a deep breath, clear your mind of all these BS rumors and think logically for a moment....

Apple is SMART...VERY SMART. They didn't claw their way to the top by making dumb decisions. And granted, they are not perfect. But think about it...We all know what a blantent, stupid, mind blowing mistake it would be to come out with another iPhone 4. I haven't read one positive comment anywhere that suggests consumers would be happy with a refreshed iPhone 4. In fact, people will be outraged. And there are a TON of people that wouldn't buy it. Apple knows all this a trillion times better then we do. They know exactly what it is going to take to have record breaking sales with this next release. And guess what...A refreshed iPhone 4 is not going to give them record breaking sales on launch day. I'm no expert but it seems crystal clear to me that if all we got was a 4S, sales on lauch day or week would be the worst they have ever been for iPhone. And do you think Apple is willing to let that happen? Especially when the people who are disappointed with the 4S can easily switch over to some new Android device. NO WAY! There are a ton of iPhone users that are starting to admit that "hey...that Galaxy, or Prime, or whatever, is actually a pretty cool device"..It's those people (and I'm sure there are millions of them) that will immediately jump ship and head on over to Android. A 4S will just make their decision so much easier.

So rest assured knowing that it's probably not in Apple's business plan to fail miserably with this launch. This is their biggest launch yet in terms of competition and consumer expectation..And Apple knows it all too well. They are going to shock us all. Mark my words. And if i'm wrong...I (and millions of others) will never look at Apple with the same respect and admiration ever again. They will have turned into "just another smart phone company".

18. korndawg macrumors regular

I really hope you're right but IMO, Apple is going to show their arrogance and ignorance and give us a refreshed iphone 4. However, millions will still buy it just cuz it has an apple logo on it.

19. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

Not to derail the thread, but there is absolutely zero chance that the iPhone 5 is going be simply a slightly improved iPhone 4. If you believe that then you are completely out of touch with the market and the way Apple has been going lately. If the next iPhone is pretty much the same as the last, it will land with a big "thud!" and would be a huge flop by Apple's standards. Ain't gonna happen, IMHO of course.