No CD Icon

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by millymolly, May 1, 2007.

1. millymolly macrumors newbie

Can anyone help please.
    I am learning how to Burn a disc but when I put a blank Memorex CD-RW 12x700 in my Cube I do not get an icon on my desk

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Is it recognised in Disk Utility? In Finder's Preferences, is it set to show CDs on the Desktop? :)

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Can you play DVDs? Cubes originally came with either a CD writer or a DVD reader. If you can play DVDs and haven't upgraded your drive, then you won't be able to write CDs.

4. millymolly thread starter macrumors newbie

5. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

are you saying the drive is capable of writing CDs or that the disc is a CD-RW?

do you have another computer on which you can test the disc? or another disc to try on this computer? it might just be a bad disc.

6. millymolly thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes it is thank you the problem was the CD's friend gave me a couple of slower ones and bingo, still no icon but I managed to burn disk it opens into disk utility and I did it from there.

7. millymolly thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi thanks
    yes drive is capable and disc was same, friend gave me some slower discs and it worked ok she had same problem with her iMac wonder what this means, if they are bad discs they were expensive enough.