No Chapter Forward/Reverse on touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Alexis Machine, Sep 23, 2007.

1. Alexis Machine macrumors newbie

Alexis Machine

Unless I'm missing something here, why doesn't the touch have such a basic function of movie watching in todays age? The iPhone has it. The Classic has it. The Nano even does it. Why not the touch?

Anyone think it could be something added with an update?

2. jaypee68 macrumors regular

It does, just touch the screen while your movie is playing and a box appears on the screen at the bottom that has chapter back, chapter forward, and pause/play buttons. It also has the volume level slider as well as text that tells you what chapter out of how many chapters you are on. Also a scrub bar appears at the top, then you can move foward or back in the time line of your movie.

3. Alexis Machine thread starter macrumors newbie

Alexis Machine

Hmmm, WTH! Maybe I converted the movies wrong with handbrake or something, but I get no chapter selection and no text telling which chapters I'm in. Interesting.......

4. caMi macrumors regular

Ya, You need to turn chapters on in Handbrake.

Works fine for me.

5. jaypee68 macrumors regular

Well you don't get to choose individual chapters, I mean it isn't a DVD player so when you convert your movies, all the chapter selecting menus and such don't come along in the conversion.

6. caMi macrumors regular

wrong, see above post.

7. Alexis Machine thread starter macrumors newbie

Alexis Machine

That's what confuses me. I converted with HandBrake, selected chapter breaks, and when I watch in iTunes, the chapter forward/reverse is available along with chapter selection, but it is not showing up on my touch. I don't understand why.

8. caMi macrumors regular

Don't know man, But I can tell you this feature works fine on my Touch.

There is something wrong on your end.

9. jaypee68 macrumors regular

10. Alexis Machine thread starter macrumors newbie

Alexis Machine

Did you use handbrake for your conversions, or a different program? Maybe I need to change some settings or something.

11. jaypee68 macrumors regular

I used Handbrake for Windows.

12. Alexis Machine thread starter macrumors newbie

Alexis Machine

Yeah, I'm on windows too. Sorry to keep you in this conversation, but it is appreciated. Got any tips for my handbrake settings? Maybe there's something I'm not doing right.....

13. jaypee68 macrumors regular

Maybe it's because I'm using HandBrake for Windows, but I don't have a Chapters tab in the HandBrake interface so there isn't much I can turn on or off regarding chapters. All I can do is select chapters to be encoded.

[​IMG]

14. jaypee68 macrumors regular

I'm new to HandBrake, just got my 16GB Touch yesterday, and I just choose the iPhone preset from the presets menu. I rip my DVD's with AnyDVD first though.

15. jaypee68 macrumors regular

Ahh, now I'm seeing a problem on my end. If I play HandBrake encoded movies inside iTunes, and I mouse over the movie, I get the controls and I also get a little book icon to choose individual chapters, however this little book icon does not appear during the movies when I watch them on the iPod Touch.

16. Alexis Machine thread starter macrumors newbie

Alexis Machine

Tried using the iPhone settings too, but a lot of the interface and options is really new and confusing for me. I'll keep messing with it. I'm using DVD43 with handbrake, and that thing works great.

I really appreciate your help on this. Now, back to whatever you were doing before I came along. Enjoy your day!

17. Alexis Machine thread starter macrumors newbie

Alexis Machine

I don't think we get that option in the touch, but what do I know, right!?!?!

18. LinkMx macrumors member

19. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

That has nothing to do with it. As a matter of fact, if mine get the .m4v extension I just change them to .mp4 and they work fine.

I've been ripping all of mine in handbrake with the iPhone settings (just adjusting the bitrate) and I get chapter markers on all of the movies I've ripped (about 10 so far).