No Character Palette!!!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MacPhil5, Dec 15, 2007.

1. MacPhil5 macrumors newbie

Hi !

My office mate just bought a U.S. macbook (with Leopard) to cash in on the strong Euro :)rolleyes:), and passed the keyboard to a different layout (French, for that matter). I don't know what the source of the problem could be, but she has no character palette on her computer!

1) The option to display the palette in the input menu doesn't show up in "International". It is just not in the list. The Keyboard Viewer isn't there either, by the way (which is quite of a problem when the tags on your keys do not match the system layout :().

2) In a Cocoa app, the "Edition > Special characters" item of the menu bar just does nothing. OS X doesn't even return an error message. Nothing happens.

Any thought on her issue?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

What version of OSX is it? Does COMMAND-OPTION-T do anything? Is it the same problem in all user accounts?

3. cdcastillo macrumors 6502a

cdcastillo

I'm having the same problem here. I can not find the character palette anywere. I don't think this is related to changing the layout to french, since the palette is missing before and after changing the layout (US to Spanish).

Any clues on where to find the missing character palette
    :confused:

EDIT:

I've found a potential solution posted here. I haven't tried it yet, Just thought to let you know there seems to exist a solution.

4. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    I checked, and it doesn't work for me either; I have a SR white MB with Leopard. Edit-->Special Characters does nothing, and I cannot open the keyboard viewer.

5. cdcastillo macrumors 6502a

cdcastillo

Confirmed: It Works!!

I tried it and it works. Deleted those 4 files and after reseting my computer, there is a Character palette and a keyboard viewer on international and on my menu bar.

Great!

:D

6. Blogger macrumors 6502

This appears to be different with PPC and Intel versions of Leopard. On Intel versions it appears as an application, and in PPC computers it's still in the input source menu.