no charge

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hotrod351, Jan 28, 2016.

1. hotrod351 macrumors 6502

hotrod351

my 2007 macbook pro started giving me a charging problem about a year ago. had to wiggle the cord at the magnetic connection to get it to charge. finally bought a new cord and also picked up a extra charger. that fixed it for a while but then no charge. i checked the magnetic connection on the macbook and it looked pretty bad so i bought another I/O board, brand new and same part number, installed it and nothing, even installed a new battery, still nothing, no charge, no red light, no green light. reset it but still nothing. have been checking all over the internet and the only thing i can find now is that it might be the logic board. one youtube video shows a small thin wire on the back of the board that triggers the charging circuit, and it can burn out and need to be replaced. have also read where 2006 and 2007 seem to have this problem. anything that anyone here knows that i can check before i replace the logic board.

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Is it worth putting that sort of money into a 9 year old machine?

Not in my opinion, at that age any money into it is a money down the drain.

It's at the end of its useful life, it will be prone to further issues as the "new" motherboard will also be 9 years old. To be honest, new battery, new charger new-motherboard you could have got a new computer for that money that would run rings around a 2007 MBP.

3. hotrod351 thread starter macrumors 6502

hotrod351

agree. wife pretty much uses it just to play a game, game of time, and do her facebook thing. bought her a ipad air 2 for that but shes having a hard time getting game of time to load. anyway i went ahead and bought another macbook pro, 2008, there cheap enough and if she gets a couple years out of it then its worth it. ill still mess around with this 2007 and try to figure out why its not triggering the charging circuit, nothing to loose.