No charging through unpowered USB hub?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Michael CM1, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I have a cooling fan with 4 USB ports that sits underneath my MacBook Pro. I only have two USB ports on the machine, so extras are a must. I unfortunately found out that this device doesn't have enough juice to power one of the My Passport external hard drives, so I really only have what's on the fan system's hub.

Before, this wasn't a problem. A card reader in one port, usually the iPhone cable from the original iPhone in the other. Well a few minutes ago, I plugged the iPhone 3G S cable into one of the ports (I had it in the wall last night) on the fan unit. I got a message saying the device didn't support charging. Changed ports, same result. Unplugged the My Passport drive and plugged the iPhone into the MBP, and now it works.

Does anybody else have this problem? It's highly annoying because I don't really feel like trying to find a powered hub that isn't a waste of $15 -- I've had my share of bad ones in the past. Any suggestions?

2. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

Good grief, you answered your own question. Get a powered hub. There is no magical cure for not enough power. :confused:

3. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

i have a weird glitch where sometimes my iPhone wont charge unless iTunes is open. check into that

also, my 3G and 3GS both charge fine through this http://store.apple.com/us/product/TQ775LL/A?mco=NDkwNjQwNA

4. Michael CM1 thread starter macrumors 603

But why did the original iPhone charge through that hub and the new one is giving me flack? That's my main confusion. If it was like the hard drive and just required more power, I get it. But this is the first I have heard/noticed any change in charging requirements.

5. jsdc2005 macrumors member

I wouldn't worry about figuring out exactly why and just get a powered hub. I've had certain things charge on an unpowered hub one day, then stop the next. Especially since you're talking about two different pieces of hardware, it's likely the power requirements are slightly different. It would not take a significant change (such as would be disclosed in a spec or something) to make the difference.