No chime and shuts off after 30 seconds

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by laurieh, Jan 15, 2013.

1. laurieh macrumors newbie

Hi all,

Sorry this is a bit of a long one.

Will give you a brief on whats happened.

Started off by a slight coffee spill on a few keys. Switched off and removed battery left to dry for a few days. Powered on and no keyboard functioning just mouse pad.

Decided to take my book apart and clean the keyboard and connections.

Removed everything and found coffee stains on backlight and keys. Also do not think this is related but the little board where the power lead plugs in had a white stain over the board?. Cleaned keyboard and put everything back.

Switched on and HEY PRESTO!!!! all working:)

This was about 4 days ago.

Noticed Sunday for no reason what so ever while on the macbook just reading stuff the screen went black and went it power save mode......the only way to get this back on was to close the lid and open and hit a key, then would come back fine Mmmmmm.
    This happened twice on sunday

Yesterday a screen popped up while i was surfing saying 'ARE YOU SURE YOU WANT TO SHUTDOWN, this is the screen where you click the apple icon and select shut down, everytime i clicked cancel this would pop up again. I closed the internet page and started to open an application then suddenly the mac switched off. It was as if i had kept my finger pressed down on the power button.

After a couple of hours later and lots of reseting PRAM ect ect, i managed to get the mac back on and backed up everything.

This morning however it now shuts down on the Apple screen with spinning gear every time i start it up.

Battery is fine

Just wandering if there is anything i may of dislodged after taking to bits to clean the keyboard?

Any help would be appreciated
    Many thanks
    Laurie

Just to add i did upgrade the ram from 2 to 4 gb but to be honest this was done before the coffee spill

2. falseadress macrumors newbie

Try disconnecting the keyboard connector and short out the power pads to turn the mac on. There is a chance that the power button might of been shorted out. Causing it to shut down very quickly.

Check the logic board for any signs of corrosion or liquid. If there is wash the motherboard in hot water. use a toothbrush and start cleaning. Dry it off in a oven or blowdryer at a low temp. Dont touch it after its been out of oven. i think its 150degree's c for 20-30 min. Let it cool down. Or air dry with a fan for a few hours.

If there isn't any water damage, and the mac works with thekeyboard disconnected. Try to wash the keyboard itself in hot water. just rinse and click on keys untill the liquid is all gone. Dry and see if you can use it. If not, you might have to order a new one.

Take a picture of the stain and logic board. That macbook might not of fully dried so as you applied power to it. its slowly shorting and corroding the board so thats why it started to go werid after a bit.