No chime...

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by vohdoun, Jul 4, 2012.

1. vohdoun macrumors 65816

vohdoun

So it would appear my G5, Dual 2.7 has passed on... went away from it for 30 - 45 minutes last night, came back to a wind tunnel since the fans were at full pelt. No idea what happened since the screen was in standby.

Held the power button down to shut it all off, powers back up but won't chime as the graphics fan is spinning away at full speed due to no proper POST. The strange thing is, the 4 fans for the liquid cooling system doesn't build up to full speed. It feels as if it's ticking over at 1000rpm with a slight breeze as the loudest part comes from the graphics card fan.

Tried powering it up with the hard drives disconnected, no go.

Tried powering it up with no display connected, no go.

Tried powering it up with the PRAM battery out, which is not even 8 months old. No go.

There's no leaks, no fluid attempting to run to the front of the side panel. Everything is blown dry. Even the plastic tray chamber. No odours. There was a slight crystallisation around the back of the unit (where the processors are) but nothing big. Almost like a little bit of salt, very dry looking but doesn't look like it's in contact with the logic board or processors it's that small. As you can see the gap. It's been this way for a few months, at least.

Tried minimal ram, no go. I know for a fact it's not the ram. It's been rock solid for 7 years.

There also no red LEDs or such warning indicators. Powers up as if it was normal running, just no chime.

Can't see much point trying to get it repaired as the cost will no doubt mount up... for something so obsolete, or rather, vintage. Very sad day though.

Any ideas? it definitely sounds something related to the logic board...

2. Lil Chillbil macrumors 65816

Lil Chillbil

If its not the power supply and its not the ram or the harddrive or the monitor then it must be a bad motherboard

3. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

What hardware do you have? Like, USB devices, PCI cards, anything you've added yourself?

I had a faulty rtl8187 USB wireless card that caused the same failure, shutting down, video turning off... but fans going at full blast and never actually powering down.

That was on my June, 2004 dual 1.8 G5 tower.

4. vohdoun thread starter macrumors 65816

vohdoun

What would cause it, just old age has set in?

Well, I've had a PCI Belkin USB 2.0 card installed (installed it myself the first year) since nearly the beginning of owning the machine. Which was a BTO. Very little was attached. Even tried to get it to chime with nothing attached at the time this all happened. As the card has had 4 appliances attached and worked flawless. Even tried a SMU button reset. Still no go.

It just has the default airport extreme card which has worked flawless, last used it a few days ago. Even the USB card was fine as I have a USB WiFi N adapter in use with it when it crashed. Bluetooth dongle as well. Still all lights up getting power. But as I said, now when it powers on the 4, 92mm fans just idle what appears to be 1000rpm, it's not loud, as there's a slight breeze but no speed up. Just stays in that state forever. Same for the graphics card fan running at full speed since it can't POST. As thats a GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL, and that too worked flawless. Along with 8GB DDR PC3200, 1 stick each.

The strangest thing is the radiator/cooling really isn't getting hot like it use to. No leaks though. Same for the two rear square cooling sections.

5. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Hmm...

Does Console have any kernel panic crash reports that you can post?

When my USB wireless caused the crash it'd usually show that the rtl8187 kernel extension driver was what was loaded that caused the crash.

6. vohdoun thread starter macrumors 65816

vohdoun

Getting the console logs from another Mac?

I've taken the USB card out, still the same but I do find it very odd that after a few minutes and longer the radiator and heatsinks aren't heating up.

However after 5 minutes or so all the fans start to kick into overdrive. Or it was me triggering it with the clear air deflector.

7. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

Remove LCS, next remove CPUs and look at waterblock gaskets. Leak could be very small as for now, but enough to destroy one of CPUs.

[​IMG]

You will need to reapply thermal paste after that.

8. vohdoun thread starter macrumors 65816

vohdoun

How do I access the hidden console logs that are on the drive? which is easy from within the OS you're already in and using.

9. Theodor macrumors newbie

capacitors?

Check the capacitors, are they bulged or anything? Had similar problems with my iMac G5, changed them and everything is working smoothly again.

10. Buffsteria macrumors regular

Buffsteria

Interesting, when I had that problem on my G5 in 2006 I was told my RAM was probably not sitting well. I thought they didn't know what they were talking about, but...I removed all the RAM sticks, re-sat them on the board and suddenly everything was fixed!