No Clock App?

Discussion in 'macOS Mojave (10.14)' started by Internet Enzyme, Jun 4, 2018.

1. Internet Enzyme macrumors 6502a

Internet Enzyme

How does macOS still not have a system-integrated support for timers, alarms, and stopwatches yet? I mean this functionality seems like it would be easier to integrate than the Home App or the redesigned App Store.

2. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

who doesn't have this on a phone? or (gasp) an actual clock? seems non-urgent on a mac... altho there must be apps on the appstore for this...

3. Cougarcat macrumors 604

UIKit will make this possible. I think we just have to wait a bit for Apple to catch up. They are also probably working on new Mail, Music, Podcasts, Messages apps too.

I would have prioritized this over Stocks and Voice Memos, though. Perhaps they are also redesigning timers on iOS and that needs some time (seriously, more than one timer at once, please.)

4. Internet Enzyme thread starter macrumors 6502a

Internet Enzyme

Those are some very, very weak excuses

5. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

either way... why is this important? the desktop os has never had a built-in timer/stopwatch, has it? there are surely plenty of 3rd-party apps to do this, and, again, who doesn't have this functionality on their phone?

6. Internet Enzyme thread starter macrumors 6502a

Internet Enzyme

So because one device has a feature then the other, supposedly more fully featured and professional platform cant get said feature?

7. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Why shouldn't it have it? It's never had HomeKit either, til now.

When I say "Hey Siri, set a timer," and it says "I can't. Would you like a reminder instead?" I get irritated. There should be consistency.

8. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

seriously, are there no 3rd-party apps for this? i mean, if apple hasn't made this happen over the last 20 years, why would they right now? find an app, install it, and you're good to go.

9. bookemdano macrumors 65816

As others have pointed out, there are valid reasons to want a native solution for this on Mac. Siri is the biggest one. You get completely different results when you ask Siri on your Mac to set a timer and Siri on ANYTHING else Apple sells. That inconsistency is very un-Apple-like.

10. Cougarcat macrumors 604

No third party apps would be able to integrate with Siri (well, until we get Siri Shortcuts) or sync over iCloud to the iOS Clock app.

They needed UIKit to bring these iOS apps over.

11. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

there are (of course) many differences between mac os & ios, it hardly boils down to a timer function...
    --- Post Merged, Jun 4, 2018 ---
    sorry, was joking (thought that was obvious); you both are 'liking' each other's posts. if News (for example) has finally come to the mac, perhaps a timer isn't far off. in the meantime, there are 3rd-party options. until then.... it is what it is.

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=timer+app+for+mac&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

12. bookemdano macrumors 65816

Yes and it's a perfectly valid thing to complain about... not sure why you keep harping on 3rd party options. I think people assume by now that you can get 3rd party timer apps.

13. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

am offering a working option to a functionality that doesn't exist currently in the os. isn't that a good thing? anyway, will let it go, it's hardly a crisis issue.

14. Internet Enzyme thread starter macrumors 6502a

Internet Enzyme

It really isnt that big of a deal. It’s just a no brainer. You want third party apps to supplement the os. The os should be able to do as many basic functions as possible. I would classify setting stopwatches, timers, and alarms as a fairly basic function that shouldnt require a web browser and internet connection to enable

15. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

sure, but it's a no-brainer to you; obviously, not so with apple, as it's never been implemented. still, it's not complicated either, and maybe down the line we'll see it...

16. TheColtr macrumors 6502

Stocks and voice memos are simple apps, compared to some others you mentioned. I think they are starting out small and working up. I would not be surprised if eventually once all UIKit is ported over, Apple starts deprecating AppKit.

17. Cougarcat macrumors 604

It'll become the new Carbon, probably.

18. boston04and07 macrumors 65816

boston04and07

I agree, I was thinking they chose those apps specifically because they’re either relatively simple or aren’t responsible for storing tons of data and files. Hopefully it won’t be terribly long before they work their way up to things like Weather, Health, even the Phone app. Maybe even we’ll see some of these things in a point update along the way.

Edited to add that I hope the reason why Clock isn’t on the Mac yet is because they’re finally working on adding some sort of iCloud connectivity to it. Something I’ve wanted for a long while is for timers and alarms to come through on all my devices because I miss too many as it is now.