Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

No Clock App?

Internet Enzyme

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 21, 2016
How does macOS still not have a system-integrated support for timers, alarms, and stopwatches yet? I mean this functionality seems like it would be easier to integrate than the Home App or the redesigned App Store.

fisherking

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
who doesn't have this on a phone? or (gasp) an actual clock? seems non-urgent on a mac... altho there must be apps on the appstore for this...

Comment

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
UIKit will make this possible. I think we just have to wait a bit for Apple to catch up. They are also probably working on new Mail, Music, Podcasts, Messages apps too.

I would have prioritized this over Stocks and Voice Memos, though. Perhaps they are also redesigning timers on iOS and that needs some time (seriously, more than one timer at once, please.)

Comment

fisherking

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
UIKit will make this possible. I think we just have to wait a bit for Apple to catch up. They are also probably working on new Mail, Music, Podcasts, Messages apps too.

I would have prioritized this over Stocks and Voice Memos, though. Perhaps they are also redesigning timers on iOS and that needs some time (seriously, more than one timer at once, please.)

either way... why is this important? the desktop os has never had a built-in timer/stopwatch, has it? there are surely plenty of 3rd-party apps to do this, and, again, who doesn't have this functionality on their phone?

Comment

Internet Enzyme

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 21, 2016
either way... why is this important? the desktop os has never had a built-in timer/stopwatch, has it? there are surely plenty of 3rd-party apps to do this, and, again, who doesn't have this functionality on their phone?

So because one device has a feature then the other, supposedly more fully featured and professional platform cant get said feature?

Reactions: Cougarcat
Comment

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003

Why shouldn't it have it? It's never had HomeKit either, til now.

When I say "Hey Siri, set a timer," and it says "I can't. Would you like a reminder instead?" I get irritated. There should be consistency.

Reactions: Internet Enzyme
Comment

fisherking

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
So because one device has a feature then the other, supposedly more fully featured and professional platform cant get said feature?

seriously, are there no 3rd-party apps for this? i mean, if apple hasn't made this happen over the last 20 years, why would they right now? find an app, install it, and you're good to go.

Comment

bookemdano

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2011
seriously, are there no 3rd-party apps for this? i mean, if apple hasn't made this happen over the last 20 years, why would they right now? find an app, install it, and you're good to go.
As others have pointed out, there are valid reasons to want a native solution for this on Mac. Siri is the biggest one. You get completely different results when you ask Siri on your Mac to set a timer and Siri on ANYTHING else Apple sells. That inconsistency is very un-Apple-like.

Comment

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003

No third party apps would be able to integrate with Siri (well, until we get Siri Shortcuts) or sync over iCloud to the iOS Clock app.

They needed UIKit to bring these iOS apps over.

Comment

fisherking

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
As others have pointed out, there are valid reasons to want a native solution for this on Mac. Siri is the biggest one. You get completely different results when you ask Siri on your Mac to set a timer and Siri on ANYTHING else Apple sells. That inconsistency is very un-Apple-like.

there are (of course) many differences between mac os & ios, it hardly boils down to a timer function...
[doublepost=1528151969][/doublepost]
Very mature of you.

No third party apps would be able to integrate with Siri (well, until we get Siri Shortcuts) or sync over iCloud to the iOS Clock app.

They needed UIKit to bring these iOS apps over.

sorry, was joking (thought that was obvious); you both are 'liking' each other's posts. if News (for example) has finally come to the mac, perhaps a timer isn't far off. in the meantime, there are 3rd-party options. until then.... it is what it is.

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=timer+app+for+mac&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Comment

bookemdano

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2011
there are (of course) many differences between mac os & ios, it hardly boils down to a timer function...
[doublepost=1528151969][/doublepost]

sorry, was joking (thought that was obvious); you both are 'liking' each other's posts. if News (for example) has finally come to the mac, perhaps a timer isn't far off. in the meantime, there are 3rd-party options. until then.... it is what it is.

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=timer+app+for+mac&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Yes and it's a perfectly valid thing to complain about... not sure why you keep harping on 3rd party options. I think people assume by now that you can get 3rd party timer apps.

Comment

fisherking

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Yes and it's a perfectly valid thing to complain about... not sure why you keep harping on 3rd party options. I think people assume by now that you can get 3rd party timer apps.

am offering a working option to a functionality that doesn't exist currently in the os. isn't that a good thing? anyway, will let it go, it's hardly a crisis issue.

Comment

Internet Enzyme

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 21, 2016
am offering a working option to a functionality that doesn't exist currently in the os. isn't that a good thing? anyway, will let it go, it's hardly a crisis issue.

It really isnt that big of a deal. It’s just a no brainer. You want third party apps to supplement the os. The os should be able to do as many basic functions as possible. I would classify setting stopwatches, timers, and alarms as a fairly basic function that shouldnt require a web browser and internet connection to enable

Comment

fisherking

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
It really isnt that big of a deal. It’s just a no brainer. You want third party apps to supplement the os. The os should be able to do as many basic functions as possible. I would classify setting stopwatches, timers, and alarms as a fairly basic function that shouldnt require a web browser and internet connection to enable

sure, but it's a no-brainer to you; obviously, not so with apple, as it's never been implemented. still, it's not complicated either, and maybe down the line we'll see it...

Comment

TheColtr

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2014
California

Stocks and voice memos are simple apps, compared to some others you mentioned. I think they are starting out small and working up. I would not be surprised if eventually once all UIKit is ported over, Apple starts deprecating AppKit.

Reactions: boston04and07
Comment

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Stocks and voice memos are simple apps, compared to some others you mentioned. I think they are starting out small and working up. I would not be surprised if eventually once all UIKit is ported over, Apple starts deprecating AppKit.

It'll become the new Carbon, probably.

Comment

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008

I agree, I was thinking they chose those apps specifically because they’re either relatively simple or aren’t responsible for storing tons of data and files. Hopefully it won’t be terribly long before they work their way up to things like Weather, Health, even the Phone app. Maybe even we’ll see some of these things in a point update along the way.

Edited to add that I hope the reason why Clock isn’t on the Mac yet is because they’re finally working on adding some sort of iCloud connectivity to it. Something I’ve wanted for a long while is for timers and alarms to come through on all my devices because I miss too many as it is now.

Comment

Internet Enzyme

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 21, 2016

you were pretty prescient with this. still no timer and clock functionality, however, but now with the mac gaining uikit it seems like apple is starting to focus on the Mac as much as the other platforms

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.