Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BJTC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 25, 2009
Sorry guys, I feel entirely foolish for having to ask this (and yes, I have searched, just haven't found a definitive answer!) but I picked up an iPhone 4 from the Apple Store yesterday at the no-commitment price with the intention of jailbreaking and unlocking for T-Mobile (AT&T is worse than T-Mobile by me).

Obviously, I need to be able to activate the phone to be able to get to Safari to do jailbreakme.com. What I have not been able to ascertain, though, is whether you need to get a GoPhone or Phonebook SIM *if you already have the unactivated AT&T official microsim IN the device*. Will simply having it in there be "enough" or will I have to go sign up for a plan in iTunes before I'll be able to get into the device?

I am, of course, NOT looking to sign up with AT&T service and I know the unlock won't be out for a couple days, but can anyone answer the activation question I posed? Thanks in advance!

gecko91

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2009
This is my exact question. I'm looking to pick up two iPhones for the no-commitment price and then jailbreak them for another carrier. As I understand it, the iPhone comes with a AT&T microsim in the box. Is this enough to get past the emergency call screen to jailbreak the phone?

Sk8mfm

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2010
yes the micro sim you get with the iphone will get you past the emergency lock screen and you will be able to jailbreak and unlock with no problems!

iTouch

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2007
This is my exact question. I'm looking to pick up two iPhones for the no-commitment price and then jailbreak them for another carrier. As I understand it, the iPhone comes with a AT&T microsim in the box. Is this enough to get past the emergency call screen to jailbreak the phone?

Yes it is. It should take you to the home screen once your iPhone is plugged in and iTunes pops up. Just enable Wi-Fi and you're good to go.

krasatos

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2010
Wow. Great! Thanks for the quick reply.

so... could you confirm that all the non-commitment 599$ iphone 4 (bought from a US apple store) come with an at&t micro sim card that is enough to get it activated.

asking cause i had some1 buy it for me (dont have it yet) and atm i am lookin for a phonebook card inorder to activate.

thanx

gecko91

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2009
yeah, i did that and it worked fine. but now most iphones are selling with 4.0.2 (i assume) so you can't jailbreak.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.