No compass?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by AN1, May 3, 2015.

1. AN1 macrumors newbie

There's no compass app (seems like an obvious thing to have) and maps can't orient itself with the viewpoint of the user. Does the watch lack the compass hardware? Would be a shame #

2. pcall1128 macrumors 6502

pcall1128

Yea it would be cool if it was included. There is an app you can get though. Check it out :)

3. starbot macrumors regular

Was wondering about this also.. really would be a shame but I'm betting it doesn't have an electronic compass.

4. MEGAB4K3R macrumors regular

MEGAB4K3R

As I looked through the hardware listing for the watch I didn’t see any compass, and even the maps app points to reliance to the iphone.

5. Hicks. macrumors regular

Hicks.

I was disappointed that it didn't have an in-built compass. You'd think it would be easy to integrate into the watch, when you think of some of the Casio watches out there.

There are some apps that will tell you your heading when you're moving/ not stationary, but that's not the same.

6. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

From the tear-downs, there is a magnet in the base of the watch which engages with the MagSafe charger puck. That would prevent using a compass.

If it's any consolation, the compass in my high-end Casio Pathfinder is none too accurate.

7. AN1 thread starter macrumors newbie

I also had one of these Casio watches ages ago, in fact the last watch I was wearing before I got a cellphone and stopped wearing them till now.

Really good point about the charging system interfering with a potential compass. Too bad, maybe they can figure out some solution for v2.0…

8. pmau macrumors 65816

I see the Apple watch as a companion and would even prefer that most of it's functions stay on the phone.

Even if compass and GPS data comes from the phone, native Apps would still benefit. Right now the user interaction is transmitted from the phone App to the watch to be displayed and acted upon.

Once the user interaction is running natively on the watch, the phone dependency could be beneficial because you could define what data is transferred and how it is interpreted by the native watch app.

In short: Once the Watch App part gets to execute code, the phone as a data provider and storage device is even more interesting than today.

9. Ben_Dover macrumors regular

Ben_Dover

People can't tell where east from west now?