No Concessions For Apple in India As State Mobile Manufacturing Policy Up For Review [Update]

Phil in ocala

Suspended
Jul 14, 2016
Excellent. The first Indian government to show some spine and not bending before a large corporation.

pankajdoharey

macrumors 6502
India is certainly a growing market but it is still far from being a market which can support Apple's growth, Also Apple is too late to the party. Most local manufacturers, Chinese manufacturers and others like Samsung, LG are have flooded the market with cheap smartphones. Apple should wait at least 2 yrs before thinking about building a plant. Once there is a change in government one can get better policies, the right-wing government in power right now has no experience in policy decisions. The current government in India did demonetization without informing the Reserve bank chief or Finance Minister. or Considering the Side effects. Apple should wait it out rushing would be fatal to Apple in the current regime. This is twice in 2 yrs where Apple is getting bad deals, due to crony capitalism at the centre of the government. Local mobile phone vendors and manufacturers would also be resisting the move, which is why refurbished phones were stopped from being imported to India. If the Indian government is making special laws against Apple and why would they give any concessions? The best thing for apple is to change the plans to build anything in India and wait for the government change.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eitherone

f4mindia

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2015
Bengaluru, India
You really need to stop believing zee news is the holy grail of true information, educate yourself, and stop being a blind bhakt.

And yes the people in the parliament are a bunch of illiterate jokers. Our ****ing education minister is a 12th standard fail. And our prime minister is a ******** with no qualifications. Anyway I do not wish to discuss further with a blind bhakt who thinks the BJP IT cell propaganda is the whole truth.

Lol. I pity you bro. Have a good day. Or night.
Good for you that you know everything. Your hatred will not change the fact on the ground. Bye!

pankajdoharey

macrumors 6502
If you really want to talk about current Indian politics schemes and specially on demonetization move, I think you should do more homework. Removing 87% of legal currency in overnight and not having 10% of the replacement ready was an intentional move. Ask yourself, you think government of India is that fool to understand this economy situation? You think current officials are bunch of jokers sitting in parliament and decided to do demonetization move for fun? Do you know the purpose of demonetization operation? 100 lives are gone is not directly connected to demonetization move...but thousands of corrupt people, millions of black money amount and properties has been caught in 50 days(and still counting, which is expected to recover black money in billiions of dollars) are direct related to demonetization.
Oh Come on relax, this forum is not to discuss Indian political agenda and Policy framework. Screw the government their business is to be in power, not your welfare, politicians are corrupt and that's what they do.
Screw them!! Especially if they are right wing.

Last edited:

raghu8912

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2016
San Jose
Apple will never think of manufacturing in first league nations as the ones in Scamdinavia. The ONLY reason Apple wants to manufacture in India is due to cheap labour and non existent environment/pollution norms.

Bribing is far too difficult to do and go unnoticed during this current govt's regime. Especially media are bunch of hungry foxes waiting to pounce on such exposé opportunity.
cheap labour and non existent environment/pollution norms

Cheap labor yes
Environment/pollution norms: i don't think there is any environmental/pollution concerns in assembling phones.

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
cheap labour and non existent environment/pollution norms

Cheap labor yes
Environment/pollution norms: i don't think there is any environmental/pollution concerns in assembling phones.
You would be incorrect. Every electronics assembly operation has chemical disposal concerns.

They also deal with lead solder and tons of packaging materials from incoming parts.

If they have any plating operations, they are at the very high end of potential polluters.

Reactions: d5aqoëp

rohanparekh

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2016
Oh Come on relax, this forum is not to discuss Indian political agenda and Policy framework. Screw the government their business is to be in power, not your welfare, politicians are corrupt and that's what they do.
**** them!! Especially if they are right wing.
LOL. On on side you are saying not to write political view, on other hand showing your anger on right wing :D Are you also hurt by demonetization? :D

Reactions: etios

FriednTested

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2014
Holy cow!! Did I just read the word "Bhakt" on MacRumors? :p
Have we managed to make it BJP vs Congress yet?
hehehe. Sorry. :p But please, because I say the truth about the BJP doesn't make me pro congress. Both are equally ****.
[doublepost=1484892477][/doublepost]
Good for you that you know everything. Your hatred will not change the fact on the ground. Bye!
Why would I hate? I just love my country to see the truth. Being a fan of political party hasn't helped anyone. I voted BJP. But, that doesn't mean I will close my eyes to defend my ****** choice.

Reactions: pankajdoharey

ges

macrumors member
May 20, 2016
This is the right decision. Any concessions should be aimed at whole industries, not individual companies.

magbarn

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2008
What I don't understand is why countries like India/China get away with protectionist policies such as "Must have 30% local production rule or be subject to high tariffs...." And when the US tries to even mention anything remotely similar it's going to be a start of a 'trade war?!'

Reactions: Septembersrain