"No Content"...but I have plenty

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by CCRGMac, Oct 13, 2009.

1. CCRGMac macrumors newbie

I have a 16GB 3Gs (3.1.2) with AT&T, not jailbroken.

I have a recurring issue where my iPod app comes up showing "No Content" and Settings > General > About shows 0 songs, 0 videos. However I have only 1.3GB available and when I connect to iTunes I can see 2000+ songs, podcasts, videos and audiobooks.

It doesn't do this all the time but recently I'm left with "no content" after about 75% of my syncs, the rest of the time it's just fine. I tried a full restore over the weekend and it didn't make any difference.

I manage music manually (my library's 180GB+) but I always ensure to eject before disconnecting and allow time for the library to update.

I didn't have this issue before 3.1 but I only had the phone a couple of weeks before that. 3.1.2 doesn't seem to have fixed it. After 3.1 several people reported the same issue but it went away with a resync, which this doesn't.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

2. bhdragon macrumors newbie

Having the same problem with a 32gb 3GS...only since recent update

3. CalionMacRumors macrumors newbie

16GB 3G - no JB. 3.1.2 with AT&T

same problem... it has happened now 2x since the 3.1.2 upgrade (never before). In iTunes from my PC I can see all my music on the phone, but the phone itself says no content.

I tried first re-syncing and that did nothing. I then changed some of my sync'd content and that seemed to get it all back (until today)

I just tried using iTunes on the phone to download a song and see what they would do: it added the new song and it shows up as my only content - iTunes on my PC still shows all the songs on my phone.

I have tried rebooting the phone. lo love.

4. CCRGMac thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I *think* I've found the problem. As an old hand with iPods I've always ejected my device from iTunes after transferring music. After syncing the iPhone however it still appears in iTunes but it is "OK to disconnect". I've tried a few times unplugging without ejecting and it seems to work (fingers crossed).

So...why is that eject button there in the first place?

5. sashie macrumors member

sashie

honest? is that all it takes to fix the problem?
    just to wait til it finishes sync-ing (which takes forever)
    and just unplug it without pressing the eject button?

i have been getting this problem for the past few days... exact same problem.
    and it only happens to me after i have ugraded to 3.1.2 -___-
    sigh. so annoying.

thanks though. i'll try to use the method that you suggested and seee if it solves the problem..

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Unfortunately, that can't be it, because I've always been unplugging without pushing the eject button, and I've also been having this problem. In fact, I was just thinking of ejecting before unplugging to see if that helped solve this problem. :(

The only other thing I can think of is this tends to happen when I unplug immediately after syncing. So I guess now I'll try letting it sit for a few minutes after each sync before unplugging.

Oh, and I'm sure this didn't happen with 3.0. It's only been happening since 3.1.

7. MacMane macrumors regular

im having the same problem, except i have a 3g 3.0 JB and unlocked. when i connect to itunes, it says backing up phone but its taking a couple hours plus. ive only allowed it to back up til about 50% but it jus takes to long. all my songs keep getting deleted. any solutions? im also still using itunes 8. i havent upgraded my phone or itunes because im on tmobile and i cant afford to loose my unlocking.

8. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Updating to iTunes 9 doesn't affect your jailbreak/unlock. I'd update, just in case it clears up your backup problem. (I know it won't help with the "no content" issue, because I've been having that problem with iTunes 9.) I'd also delete any old backups you have (in iTunes Preferences, click on the Devices tab, and you should see an option to select and delete backups), then find a time when you can leave the iPhone hooked up for a long time, like overnight, and let it backup completely, no matter how long it takes. Once it completes the initial backup, subsequent backups shouldn't take so long.

9. sashie macrumors member

sashie

i wonder if this issue is known to apple... since so many of us are having the same problem..

i am so paranoid now i try my best to not plug it in my computer unless i really have to sync something new onto the phone... but this can't last forever. :S

theres gotta be a permanent solution to this...

10. sashie macrumors member

sashie