No contract Iphone 4 activation

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by sammyadams, Oct 2, 2010.

1. sammyadams macrumors newbie

I plan to purchase a no contract iphone 4.. But i have a couple of questions, once I buy it, can i jailbreak it without activation with an AT and T sim? after jailbreaking it, i want to unlock it and use a t-mobile sim.. Can i do it like that or do I have to get an AT and T connection and then activate it then jailbreak it? Can someone please give me some advice regarding this?

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I don't think you can get an iPhone without a contract in the US, which is where I'm assuming you are since you mentioned AT&T. I'm pretty sure, you have to get it activate it with AT&T and then you can cancel your contract and pay the early termination fee.
    And just to make sure you know if you use it on tmobile, you won't have 3g, your data will be over edge.

3. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

You can go into an apple store and buy an iphone off contract. You will need a sim to activate it with. The following will: inactive att, cingular, gophone, h2o, o2.

4. labman macrumors 604

labman

that's after a unlock is released! 1st the jailbreak will be finished and then they will most likely try to unlock it. no unlock is being worked on until the jailbreak is done. that's from both Chronic and the Dev-teams tweets! unless you are planing to stay below 4.1 or can keep the older baseband you are taking a risk imo.

5. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

These SIMs will all activate an iphone. These SIM will also work without an unlock. I never said anything about tmobile or unlocking.

6. Derkatwork macrumors 6502

Derkatwork

I heard (from Applejuiced I think) you need it connected first, then you can jailbreak it. I don't understand why that would be, since its only software that I don't think is related (I could and likely am wrong about that). Does the chronic dev team have that in their FAQ?

7. iTouch macrumors 6502

Current iPhone 4s being sold can not be jailbroken yet. If you want a no contract iPhone 4 you should go to an Apple Store. You will have to wait for a 4.1 Jailbreak. You will need a AT&T SIM to activate which isn't a problem since it comes with one. Then put your T-Mobile SIM and you're good. You do not need AT&T service for it. But if you want T-Mobile you will have to wait.

8. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

All iPhone sold in USA are locked to ATT contract or not. Thus, you can't just throw in Tmobile sim. OP has to wait for a JB > wait for a Unlock before OP can use on Tmobile.

9. iPhone-power macrumors 6502a

Little confusing...

Once you activate it with the AT&T sim, you cannot just put in your T-Mobile sim and "you"re good". As poster also stated, you will have to wait for jailbreak, likely coming soon. Then it will need unlocked, but there is no known exploit to unlock, so you may be stuck a very long time if you plan to use T-Mobile.

10. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Cingular. ATT and Gophone are all essentially the same ATT SIM. H2o is a new reseller using ATT bandwidth. I have no information if the H2o sims will work or not but I do know that there are lots of resellers in the UK like Tesco and Virgin who use other mainstream carrier network and that certainly does not allow their SIM to work either in locked phones of the network concerned or to activate Iphones. O2 operates in many countries in Europe, each individual o2 operation has unique sims which do not work outside of the country issued and will not activate an iphone except those on that particular carrier. I have expired pay and go ATT, Tmobile and an active UK o2 sim I can assure you the only one that will activate my iphone is the expired ATT SIM. My o2 Sim would certainly activate an o2 Iphone purchased in the UK.