no contract iPhone 5s

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Scuba629, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Scuba629 macrumors regular

I was wondering if at launch the iPhone 5s was available to purchase outside of a 2 year commitment plan. I just recently went to AT&T family value plan and to keep the discounts either need to buy a phone at full price or use the AT&T Next option.

I don't like the AT&T Next option so I would like to pay $749 for the phone from Apple or AT&T. Was that possible at launch last year? Or did everyone have to wait?

----------

Also if you were able to purchase the phone this way how did you get your SIM? It seems you have to visit an AT&T store to get a new micro SIM card? Will the one from my existing phone work?

2. 617aircav Suspended

3. Scuba629 thread starter macrumors regular

ok cool. I figured they would be available. How did you get your SIM?

4. samven582 macrumors 6502a

It comes with a sim

5. Scuba629 thread starter macrumors regular

The only option I could find on apples site said no sim. I thought you had to order a nano sim or vist an AT&T store.

6. ugcop macrumors 6502a

ugcop

Was it unlocked version or full price with ATT sim and locked to ATT?

7. Scuba629 thread starter macrumors regular

yeah I guess that's my main question. I dont know what was offered when the iPhone 5s launched. I see the SIM-free option now but that currently is the only way I can buy the phone out of contract via Apples site.

8. 617aircav Suspended

It came with a sim but I tossed it as I was going to use it on aio wireless.

9. duaneu macrumors 6502a

I bought a T-Mobile 5S at launch (sim free wasn't available at that time). Removed the T-Mobile SIM that came with it and inserted the AT&T SIM from my iPhone 5.

The Apple store website wouldn't allow you to select an AT&T phone without renewing or signing up for a new 2 year contract. That may change with the iPhone 6 launch, since AT&T is trying to move away from subsidies now.

10. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

i bought my 5 no contract and the guy at the register looked at me like i was crazy.

11. CEmajr macrumors 601

They had them available at launch. Just buy the "T-Mobile" one, toss the sim card and put your AT&T sim card into it.

12. Scuba629 thread starter macrumors regular

13. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Or buy the Verizon one and do the same thing. You'll be able to use it on Verizon, AT&T or T-Mobile, instead of just AT&T or T-Mobile.

14. Scuba629 thread starter macrumors regular

I think Verizon phones are locked?

When you pick the T-Moblie phone are you selecting an unlocked phone?

15. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

No, all Verizon iPhones have been unlocked since the iPhone 5 due to the FCC laws on Verizon's LTE bands. The phone will work on both Verizon and most GSM networks (AT&T included). The Verizon 5s will work on AT&Ts LTE and 4G bands.

In reality, the Verizon iPhone is more versatile then even the unlocked iPhone as the Verizon model can be used on Verizon or GSM carriers and the unlocked model will only work on GSM networks. My guess is also the resale value will be higher. Just hold onto the Verizon SIM incase you decided to switch.

16. Scuba629 thread starter macrumors regular

Do I lose anything by getting a Verizon phone? Like do I miss one GSM radio because I need to have their CDMA stuff?

17. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

like others said, you can buy it at full retail price. They do not "officially" sell the SIM free versions until a few months after launch though.

18. rockitdog macrumors 68020

Pretty sure you can always buy them at full price from the Apple Store on launch day.

----------

Yes, I believe that the Verizon iPhones are unable to get LTE on GSM networks. I think you can get HSPA+ on it though. At least that's how it was on the iPhone 5.

19. Akack macrumors 6502a

True for 5 but not for 5S.

The verizon 5S is identical to the GSM 5S, only difference is the verizon 5S has CDMA enabled. Thus with a Verizon 5S you can get LTE on ATT or TMobile.

20. Scuba629 thread starter macrumors regular

I guess when the iPhone 6 comes out it will be the same. Sounds like that is the phone I should be looking to get next upgrade.