No Contract with Verizon 4G? Tether?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by hakr100, Mar 15, 2012.

1. hakr100 macrumors 6502a

In re: the new iPads, the Apple site says the 4G arrangement with Verizon or AT&T is a "no contract" arrangement. I presume this means you can initiate a month's 4G service and then cancel it after the month, and then restart it at a later date, all without startup costs or penalties. I have very limited need for 4G.

Is my interpretation correct?

And how about "tethering" to my iPhone 4s? Can I easily do this with a JB'd iPhone and use its "3G" abilities on a new iPad?

Thanks!

2. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

No contract = turn on and off monthly as you like.

Verizon is offering free hotspot with your data plan, so you can broadcast via wifi up to 5 devices.

3. hakr100 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'll have to call Verizon, but I wonder how one "actuates" the "turn on and off monthly as you like."

I'm trying to figure out "hotspot." Does it mean that if I have a data plan with my iPad, I can retransmit a wi fi signal from it to, say, a laptop?

4. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

Yes, hot spot is same as tethering up to ANY 5 wifi devices.

For the data plan, you are on auto-billing, so you'd need to remember to cancel it before Verizon bills you again. Technically you can cancel/start whenever, but you have to be on top of it.

5. aka777 macrumors 6502a

Yep, that's basically it. If you have the data active and data available, you are free to do as you please with it on the VZ model, like activating and using it as a hot spot.