No ctrl+alt+del in mac

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by shilladsk, Dec 14, 2011.

1. shilladsk macrumors newbie

Hello,

I've been searching for an answer to this problem for some time and have found many threads realting to similar instances, but they all relate to older operating systems.

I've seen this problem on several machines so far.

A new MBP, imaged with Snow Leopard. I install bootcamp and load Windows 7/64 bit Enterprise edition. I install the previously downloaded Windows support drivers. I join the PC to the domain and reboot.

After that, Windows requires ctrl+alt+del to log on. Ctrl+alt+del doesn't work, nor does addding the FN key to the mix. I can log in using a PC USB keyboard or using the on-screen kb, but both of those are less than elegant solutions.

As near as I can tell, the problem is the del key. After the install of the windows drivers the del key is mapped as a backspace - Windows is looking for a forward delete.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1220

This article states "Note: If you disable the Apple Keyboard Support driver in Windows, Windows will not recognize extended Function keys, nor the (Fn) key."

I haven't purposely dispabled this driver - nor do I see it it there.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

2. SplicedBanjo macrumors regular

What do you mean by this? The only way I know to install Boot Camp drivers is to insert your Mac OS X DVD, although it may update itself by downloading.

Admittedly I'm not really familiar with the procedure for starting at Lion or Macs without optical drives.

3. shilladsk thread starter macrumors newbie

The Macbook Pros no longer ship with DVDs. When you start the bootcamp assistant it prompts you to download the necessary files and save them to a USB stick or media disk.

4. marikavs macrumors member

Keyboard Mapper?

FWIW, maybe a keyboard mapper would work. Personally, I can't help as I have a (very) old system (MacBook1,1) but it seems to me I once had one of those (on a different system) which did exactly that - remapped the Del key in Windows from OS X. The only reason I decided to put in my 2 cents is that nobody else seems to have come up with anything since you asked.