No Custom Text Tones in iOS5 - Devs, complain!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FSMBP, Jun 6, 2011.

1. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

As you all know, you cannot have your own custom tones in iOS 5. Yes, you can buy tones apparently. But I cannot justify spending $0.99 for 3 seconds of audio - or even $0.69.

What if I want to make my own tones in Garageband (like an arpeggio of something)? Or use a soundbite from whatever.

I hope developers send feedback about that.

2. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

iOS 5 is pre-release software. There's still a chance the functionality will be in the release candidate.

3. FSMBP thread starter macrumors 68020

FSMBP

I hope so. I hope devs send feedback to add this feature to make it in the gold master!

4. AHSIRT2 macrumors newbie

Im sure i read something somewhere about additional tones... Maybe it was just wishful thinking?

5. Norouzi macrumors 6502

Since this is Beta 1 I'll reserve judgement. I would hope that tones will work just like ringtones in the end. Find something I like, set the time frame, create and AAC version, change the extension and drop it back into iTunes. I'd be OK with that.

6. sotorious, Jun 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2011

sotorious macrumors 6502a

Yes this is one feature i really wanted to see, along with easier ringtones. I'd trade that for icloud.

7. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

This might be overly optimistic but the idea that there's a store for sms tones leads me to believe there will be some sort of user manageable tab in itunes just like ringtones. That should then open it up to the custom arena without having to pay what will most likely be exorbitant prices.

8. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Why don't you send feedback?

9. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

Because he steals the ipsw.

10. FSMBP thread starter macrumors 68020

FSMBP

I'm not a dev; I'm sure Apple is more likely to read & review feedback from a small group of developers as opposed to anyone to can submit feedback at www.apple.com/feedback.

11. FSMBP thread starter macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Uhh not sure what that means but I don't have iOS 5 Beta on my device if that's what you're implying. I got my information from the countless blogs/threads about SMS tones.

Too bad your assumption made you look like an ass.

12. chrisbetty macrumors 6502

Keep in mind they did say 200 new user features yesterday,Out of those 200,1 of them could be it but if not I agree.It be nice have custom tones

13. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

The thing is - you can export ringtones from garageband. So it's not like anyone is breaking the rules putting custom tones on their phone. If you click the buy more tones button, there's a button on the top right labelled library. As of now this button doesn't do anything but whose to say.

Also - there's no real way to submit this to apple. This is not a bug reporting issue I don't believe.

14. FSMBP thread starter macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Interesting...guess we'll wait and see!