Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kidwithdimples

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 17, 2007
I liked how SL has the "Customize" option when doing a clean install, so you can deselect the languages you don't need or printer drivers.

Why does Lion disable that :(

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
I liked how SL has the "Customize" option when doing a clean install, so you can deselect the languages you don't need or printer drivers.

Why does Lion disable that :(

From what I have read the customize option only is for Lion server. Maybe if you download the server part of Lion then the button becomes active. I compared the install size of Lion and Snow Leopard and Lion definately takes less hard disk space.

Hansr

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2007
Aren't the drivers loaded dynamically from the web now?

And didn't the language refactoring bring the size down to less than 100MB for the whole OS?

Seems like worrying about nothing.

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
Most of the changes in Lion are ones that have to do with aesthetics and options.

Apple is clearly very uncomfortable with the words choice and options. If these two existed in either their philosophy or vocabulary, there wouldnt be so many threads with so many unsatisfied users with their locked down experience of Lion.

The more apple progresses, the less choice we have. Its never drastic, but over the years small steps have been taken on apples part to control YOUR experiences as much as possible.

Apple *should* bring back the options to bring back a customized install. Not everyone needs all the extras installed on their computer. I for one keep my installations of OS X to a bare minimum. Its for reasons like that, that I give (or gave) Apple so much credit, for doing certain things right.

But the more I use apple, the more I feel like im having my hand held through my experience. I'm not a noob. I'm a power user. I need options.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Customize is not needed because it only loads what it needs, if you in the future need a feature that wasn't installed by default, it will download it for you.

Customize was a feature that allowed you to deselect components, well those components are not being installed at this point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.