Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DigitalD

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2010
I did the update last night to 4.0 on my 3Gs (previously jailbroken with spirit). Everything appeared to work fine but now my can't connect to any cellular data. Regular phone calls work fine and so does data over wifi but if I switch to 3G or edge no web sites will load, can't connect to the app store, etc.

I've tried doing the data services reset from the settings menu but that made no difference.

CSMchris376

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2010
Illinois
Doesn't iOS4 have a setting to turn off cellular data? Maybe you could check that setting. Otherwise, I wonder if just a reset of the iPhone would help. :confused:

DigitalD

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2010
Cell data is on (3G icon is up in the corner) and multiple resets have been done.

CSMchris376

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2010
Illinois
My only other suggestion then would be to contact AT&T and have them check your provisioning. They may need to do a data reset.

jocal

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2010
You said you've done multiple resets. Have you tried just turning the phone off and then turning it back on again after about 10-15 seconds?

Noelmel

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2009
i have the exact same problem. saw another thread on this and they said they had "updated" to ios4 and you should "restore" to ios4. I also just "updated" so i am going to try and restore hopefully it will fix but i dont know if you are supposed to restore and backup or restore as a new phone?

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
i have the exact same problem. saw another thread on this and they said they had "updated" to ios4 and you should "restore" to ios4. I also just "updated" so i am going to try and restore hopefully it will fix but i dont know if you are supposed to restore and backup or restore as a new phone?
Restoring my iPhone and the restoring my previous backup fixed this problem for me.

Noelmel

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2009
it didnt work for me :( i didnt want to "set up as new phone" so i kepy restoring from my backups but everybackup that was made while i was jailbroken makes me loose all data connections. i then restored from a backup like from 6 months ago (the last one i made before jailbreaking) and that worked but i lost about 6 months worth of texts and app data!

so it seems like any backup made when jailbroken is corrupted somehow??!!?

DigitalD

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2010
AT&T did a reprovision of my data settings and it didn't fix the problem. I've attempted both an upgrade and a restore on the phone. I'll work on it some more today and see if I can fix it.

Noelmel

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2009
for me if you restore and backup from a backup that was made BEFORE i jailbroke it works. All my recent backups from while it was jailbroken have this problem. So i ended up having to use a backup from like 6 months ago (which was before i jailbroke) and that fixed it but i lost all my texts and app data from thoise 6 months :(

trashy

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2007
I evidently lost all backups when I selected upgrade as opposed to restore. When I tried restore, the only options were from a sync this afternoon - I did the iOS4 upgrade at lunch!

Something tells me I may be hosed......

Mindinversion

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2008
Same issue with same pre-existing criteria:

IE, jailbroken with spirit, upgraded to iOS4, lost Edge/3g [wifi worked]

restoring from an earlier backup did not fix the issue, had to setup as a new device. Fortunately for me, all my information is backed up and either re-synced (calendar, contacts) or was due to be refreshed anyway (music/movies)

There are reports on Apple's support forums that this is happening [if you believe the posters] with non jailbroken iPhones.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2469538&start=0&tstart=0

Whether they're telling the truth or afraid to admit to jailbreaking. . who can say ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.