No data connection. Help!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by IlliniDude, Jun 25, 2010.

1. IlliniDude macrumors regular

Just picked up my new i4. It's gorgeous and solid. Calls work, I have 5 bars, and the 3G icon showing. But I have no data connection. No email, no app store, no nothing. Is there a step I'm missing?

2. Carlos E macrumors 6502

Carlos E

Have you tried resetting the network settings? On the iPhone go to Settings/General/Reset/Reset Network Settings

Did you activate using the SIM that shipped with the phone or are you using a cut down SIM from another phone?

3. Walter Bell macrumors regular

Is your MMS button missing from the SMS app also?

Was your last phone jailbroken? If so here is how to fix it:

Restore your phone completely in iTunes. After the software is reinstalled, you will have two options:

Restore as a brand new device
    Or
    Restore from last back up

Select the first option, as a new device. You wil lose text messages and what not, but it fixes everybing.

4. IlliniDude thread starter macrumors regular

I think that worked. Thanks! I got my email set up, but still can't get into the app store. I think I might just have a weak signal here at work.

5. Carlos E macrumors 6502

Carlos E

You're doing this over 3G or WiFi?

6. IlliniDude thread starter macrumors regular

3G. No wifi here. I'm in an office building ijn downtown Chicago. I'm still at 5 bars. 3G seems to be spotty as it switches to Edge from time to time.

7. paulyras macrumors 6502

How are you holding your phone? Fully in hand, or tips of fingers along the top like you're supposed to?

Sorry I couldn't resist (and I didn't mean to flame- I've got one and suffer myself)...

8. IlliniDude thread starter macrumors regular

with my feet.

Like I said, I have 5 bars, it's just the data that's not cooperating. doesn't matter if I hold it or set it on my desk.

9. Carlos E macrumors 6502

Carlos E

Try switching to airplane mode and back so it picks up a new 3G signal. That helps on my 3GS.

10. vashim66 macrumors member

Does the 3G connection work while on a phone call?

My phone is behaving like this....

11. IlliniDude thread starter macrumors regular

Just got back from ATT Store. They swapped the sim card and still no luck. They said to bring it back Tuesday to exchange it.