No data Map app

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by truelies, Oct 3, 2012.

1. truelies macrumors regular

I bought some map apps which don't use cell data, I turned data off, no wifi it works great. But if I put it to air mode, the GPS is very slow. How can those app use my cellphone to decide the position but doesn't need cell data?

2. Mliii, Oct 3, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2012

Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

It uses a GPS chip, information from the location of WiFi sources and what's referred to as AGPS which, in general, is not as accurate and somewhat slower than what you would have otherwise. With data on, your accuracy and speed improves because you also use the Cell tower triangulation. (this is kind of a simplified answer and not entirely accurate, but it gives you the basic concept)

3. truelies thread starter macrumors regular

I found even turn data & wifi off it will be very quick and accurate. If turn to air mode, it will be slow.

4. seajay96 macrumors 6502

In airplane mode, everything is turned off, even GPS, read the support page here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1355

Also, AGPS is not wifi triangulation. AGPS is assisted GPS which uses cell towers to speed the time it takes to get a GPS fix.

If what you want is to save battery and not use data, turn off Wifi and Bluetooth on the first page of settings, then go to General, cellular and turn off cellular data

5. truelies thread starter macrumors regular

So basically it use cell signal not cell data or wifi.

6. seajay96 macrumors 6502

I'm about 97% sure of that (gotta leave myself a little wiggle room :) )