No Data Plan Sim Card In An Iphone Without Jailbreak

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Whiteshadow9, Jun 27, 2010.

1. Whiteshadow9 macrumors newbie

I am looking into buying a used iPhone 3G off eBay. I right now have an LG Xenon for a cell phone. I do NOT want a data plan with the new iPhone. I already have AT&T and my LG phone uses a 3G SIM card. I am NOT going to jailbreak it.
    Can I just put the SIM card I have already in the iPhone and the iPhone will work right off the back? Or will I have to get the phone regesterd to my AT&T account? I have data blocked on my SIM card so that I don't go on the Internet without meaning to.

2. gullaa macrumors member

gullaa

the iphone will still work without a data plan.... you just have to do all your web browsing through wifi

3. CJisohsocool macrumors 6502

4. bigtrip macrumors newbie

AT&T's system will recognize that your sim card is being used with an iPhone and automatically add the iPhone data plan.

5. Whiteshadow9 thread starter macrumors newbie

I keep seeing it will need to be activated from iTunes, will it need to be if it was restored by the previous owner. And will AT&T know I have an iPhone?

6. 007bond macrumors 6502a

007bond

I have used an iPhone without a data plan for almost 6 months now. Couldn't afford unlimited data. Anyway, you should be ok. Just Jailbreak because the 3g lacks on features.

Edit: yeah, im on AT&T