no data plan

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by hellayeah, Aug 13, 2010.

1. hellayeah macrumors newbie

Hi guys!
    So I want to buy an unlocked iPhone. I currently don't have a data plan (and i'm seriously not intending on getting one) and I was just wondering if the iPhone is fully functional without it?
    So if, for example, i buy one of those jailbroken/unlocked iphones from ebay I can use it normally with just the wi-fi. Like, use applications and check the internet and such.

I'm asking because I recently found out that in Blackberry's this isn't the case - you can't use any apps without having a data plan.

so yeah.

thanks guys!

2. esadb macrumors 65816

esadb

Thats like asking is a car fully functioning without gas?

Yes you can still use it. There will be limitations when your not in a wifi area. Phone works fine with wifi.

And blackberry is terrible when it comes to only wifi use. Its terrible.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If you intend to use it on AT&T then they will automaticly add an iphone data plan to your acount if you're on post paid.
    If you're on prepaid you're fine or if you go with tmobile.

4. hellayeah thread starter macrumors newbie

5. TheConfuzed1 macrumors 6502a

Sorry, but no, it's not the same as asking if your car will work without gas.

It's more like asking if your car will work if you disable its GPS system.

Yes, it will work just fine, but you may find yourself in situations where it is not "fully functional."

Use SBSettings or Bossprefs to turn off cellular data.

Obviously, you will not receive any data updates while outside of wifi coverage.

Also, you will lose visual voicemail.

Otherwise, you'll be just fine.

6. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

In that case it will depend on what carrier you will be using, each country and carriers have different policies (and work arounds) to accomplish this. The phone will be fine without a data plan, except for those obvious cases where the app required internet access (Push notification, Email, Safari, etc).

IMO is a like killing a mosquito with a bazooka, but everyone is free to choose and do as please :D:D

7. TheConfuzed1 macrumors 6502a

That is only true if you don't turn off cellular data, as I've described above.

If you have no cellular data going to the phone, they won't harrass you to add the plan.

I have a *cough*cheap*cough* friend that refused to get an iPhone because he did not want to pay for data.

I taught him how to jailbreak and turn off his data, and he has been happilly doing so for the last two years, and he is on AT&T.

8. tnisatard macrumors 6502

thats a horrible analogy IMO

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Nope, wether you turn off cellular data or block carrier data thru apn changer when they do their scans every now and then and notice an iphone on your account with no appropriate data plan they will send you a text telling you they added one to your account.
    Its been happening alot latelly since they started enforcing it to alot of people. Maybe not yet with your friend but I know first hand that they do:D

10. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

with this being said if I am understanding you correctly you can use a iPhone with no Data and they wont stick the data plan on your account like juice said?? I am interested cause my daughters want iPhones but I dont want to pay the additional data charge for them. they have wifi most everywhere they go. but I also dont want AT&T gigging us either. I can build them phones so I wont have to buy them from AT&T or Apple.

11. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

In the US AT&T will add you the data plan as soon as you connect the phone to the network. You can buy it unlock and use on T-mobile (many reports of people using it without data there). OP stated he wasn't on AT&T

12. TheConfuzed1 macrumors 6502a

From my personal experience, it work just fine.

Apparently, from Applejuiced's post above, your mileage may vary.

Also, if it isn't obvious, you will need to either buy an unsubsidized phone (defeating the purpose), or a used one.

If you agree to a 2 year commitment, you are commiting to 2 years of data as well.

13. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Not 100% accurate (for the sake of the argument on this thread, close enough), Contract is to keep service for 24 months, data plans. voice plans, or features are not under contract, If you have a iPHone they force you a data plan, but you can change to a BB or Blackajack or non-smartphone anytime during that period and block your data, or change plans or remove/add features.

You can even get the SIM card off the phone put it on your night stand call AT&T and kill all data and features and change your plan to the lowest plan available if you know you are not going to use it for a period of time (I did it once that i had to get out of the country for 3 month), not issues at all.

14. xxtra macrumors member

anyone knows if AT&T can scan and identify unsubsidized iphone(like iphone from Canada)?

15. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

They don't scan for it, and it have nothing to do if the iphone is unlock/lock/unsubsidized or not, when the iPhone connect to the network using an AT&T SIM card, the first it does is tell the network.."hey I am iPhone, here is my ID, if you need me you know where to find me"

And I am not joking, the handshaking message looks just like that.

16. xxtra macrumors member

I think AT&T check the phone by its IMEI number.

17. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Yeah by I did't want to go too technical, that's what i ment by ID, and its the phone who provide the IMEI to the network and not the other way around, but the end result is the same, the system know that you are using a iPhone.

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, you just gotta be lucky too I guess.
    I know some guy that hasnt got the data added for over a year with his iphone 3G.
    And others that got caught and a data plan added within a month.
    Hit or miss I guess.