No data speed increase ATT 4s vs 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by macguy360, Oct 18, 2011.

1. macguy360 macrumors 6502a

So I got the iPhone 4s for ATT on the 14th when it came out. I wasn't able to test the data speeds due to there being a home game for our college football team and there being a lot of extra people in town. Thus slowing down the regular data speeds.

So I tested out my new 4s for the past couple days and the speeds have been great. I get around 4-5mbps down and 1mbps up. I talked my girlfriend into letting me test her iphone 4 today and so i tested both side by side. There was no difference at all in data speeds. Sometimes my phone was faster and sometimes hers was faster.

One thing I did notice was more consistent throughput on my device. Meaning, that the download speed smoothly moved up towards 4mbps and stayed there for the download and the upload smoothly moved up to 1mbps and stayed there. The iPhone 4 however jumped up and down which made me think there were issues with data throughput.

I do live in a small town of about 30k people. On the ATT data map it shows my town as having HSDPA+. Clearly that isn't the case if data speed never exceeds 5mbps and since the iphone 4 matches speed with the 4s here. I'll have to test speeds while in a bigger city.

2. midnightfalcon macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Did you add the data plan for iPhone 4s instead of the regular data plan.

3. whiskeyvol macrumors regular

they're the same thing

4. MadGoat macrumors 65816

MadGoat

Isn't HSDPA usually a different, more expensive plan compared to 3G?

5. phillyphill macrumors 6502

phillyphill

different plan same price, if you dont have the correct plan it wont work right. make sure you have the hspda data plan.

6. macguy360 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I checked online my account is set to 4s data, not 4 so that isn't an issue.

7. hcho3 macrumors 68030

What download speed are you looking for?

I get 6-7 Mbps. I used to get 3-5 Mbps on my iPhone 4. My iPhone 4S gets 6-7 Mbps.

8. macguy360 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm guessing my area isn't really hsdpa+