No dedicated graphics: is Apple crazy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ultra AleM, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Ultra AleM macrumors 6502a

Ultra AleM

Look at the 1,999$ 15" model! No nvidia graphics! On a two thousand dollars machine! Were they drunk during the designing?

2. CoolHotCold macrumors member

3. Tobias Funke macrumors 6502a

Tobias Funke

No they just know people will buy it whatever the specs.

95% of apple machines are only used for facebook anyway. :D

4. ElderBrE macrumors regular

ElderBrE

The Iris Pro part costs just as much as the dedicated graphics card, they're not saving anything by doing this and this part is enough for many people buying the machine, it's not as fast as a 750M for windows gaming, but it's up to you to know what your use is for the machine.

5. moep macrumors member

It’s a sign of things to come.
    I would not be surprised to learn that the Haswell generation of rMBPs is the last one to feature a dGPU.

Broadwell will likely bring us a slimmer form factor and larger battery as well as graphics performance equal to the 750m, but without the dGPU.

The original plan was probably to do the iGPU-only switch with Haswell, but GT3e didn’t quite meet the expectations yet, so they threw us a bone with the high end 750m models.

6. ElderBrE macrumors regular

ElderBrE

I agree mostly, but I think Boradwell will probably have the same configurations unless Intel can hugely improve the graphic performance out of OpenGL.

All in all, I think this is good news for the laptop world, the mobile GPUs have always been an aberration anyway.