No Desktop after updating to OS X 4.11 - HELP PLEASE!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by pesola, Jan 11, 2008.

1. pesola macrumors newbie

:)Hello. I am so hoping someone can help me. I have a macbook pro and just ran the OSX 4.11 update (I am late, I know) - now I have no menu bar or dock! I cannot get into my system at all. I ran disk utilities and report says nothing is wrong.

I recently got a seagate external and did back up everything from my laptop onto it but know absolutely nothing about how to 're-install' my software and other stuff from it if needed. From what I have read while trying to find help it appears most people use a back-up software but I didn't - just copied everything over. :confused: I feel so totally dumb...and desperate!!! :(

I am afraid to do the system re-install to get my computer back becuase I am afraid of losing all my expensive software - flash, photoshop, etc....

If there is anyone who can tell me what I need to do I will be eternally grateful!!!

Thanks!

2. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

if you can get into your system prefs, try creating a new user account. If that works, just migrate your files over.

Seems like some of your user/library/prefs got corrupted

3. pesola thread starter macrumors newbie

OS 4.11 Update Solution

:) Thanks for the help! I wanted to post the process that finally worked after much tribulation, desperation, head banging against the door frame, etc.

1. I did an archive re-install using my installation disc
    2. I stayed up all night searching for answers (really only half the night)
    3. I downloaded the manual intel COMBO update
    4. I created a new Admin Account as you suggested FJ, (to eliminate preference file issues)
    5. I logged out and back in as the new admin
    6. I installed the update
    7. I thanked my lucky stars and logged in to report !