No Developers should post promo codes here!

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by NextRev, Mar 14, 2010.

1. NextRev macrumors newbie

NextRev

I'd just like to point out that I posted 5 promo codes yesterday and politely asked that people reply with the promo code they used. I also asked that they leave a review in the app store to support the game. After all, they did get it for free! NO ONE replied with the code they used nor did any of them leave a review.

2. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

I always, always, ALWAYS leave reviews when I get promo codes here. But I 100% agree with you that I am in the minority. I rarely see other reviews, even if many other people posted in the thread that they used the promo codes too. That's sad.

3. The General macrumors 601

what?!?! you mean the anonymous internet users took the free stuff you left here and didnt even leave bogus reviews for you!!!!??? NO WAY, I DONT BELIEVE YOU

4. HowEver macrumors 6502a

HowEver

Should people review an app after using it for that brief period of time?

5. NextRev thread starter macrumors newbie

NextRev

I don't think sarcasm is the proper approach to this issue. Just wanted to let other developers know that this form of advertising is not worth any of the limited 50 promo codes provided by Apple.

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I agree. I was going to point out that under no circumstances do I ever review an app, free or paid, the day of or after downloading it. That is unless it sucked bad, crashed my phone (like some have) etc. To expect a review right away is lame.

However, the ever growing issue of posting codes and people taking them is annoying. I have taken codes from here and each time I've said I did indeed take the code. I have fallen behind in some reviews or some are so bad I choose not to post, but I do at least say I have used a code.

I wish the code sharing forum was restricted to registered members only, at the very least.

OP you're half off your rocker there about the reviews. However, if people are going to post free codes then no matter what rules you put on the taking of said codes isn't going to stop the issues you've described. As for posting a review to support the app, KMA on that because frankly I don't post favorable apps for people who hand out freebies. I was asked to change my review once because it mentioned something unfavorable, I did, but never again.

7. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

Did you just get on the internet yesterday?

Every single developer knows that.

If you would like to post codes here, you can simply ask people to PM you for codes. You can also take a look at their join date and post count too before replying with a code. Usually older members will bother and will give you quite a feedback if you ask for it.

8. NextRev thread starter macrumors newbie

NextRev

9. Creative One macrumors 6502

Creative One

Perhaps, there should be a 100 post count requirement for that section?

10. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

How would this solve the problem?

11. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

It won't but it will reduce some of the newbies or non-registered members who are swiping them. Surely you understand that much.

12. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

While it may be the users' fault, it could also be iTunes. I once used a promo code and when I tried to leave a review, iTunes wouldn't let me on the basis that I hadn't purchased the app.​

13. NextRev thread starter macrumors newbie

NextRev

I shouldn't have included the fact that no one left a review because as another user pointed out, not enough time had passed for people to have actually left a review. I'm just mainly concerned with the dishonesty of not taking 2 seconds to say you took one of the codes...

14. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

So 5 more take the code in their place. Back to square one. Surely you understand that much.

15. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I just logged out and the code sharing forum isn't visible. There may even be a post count requirement but I'm not sure.

16. Saladinos macrumors 68000

Saladinos

Ideally, MacRumors would have a web app where developers could list promo codes. Then, a user can ask for a code, and the app would make sure they got a valid one (link the code with the username).

That would be great for users, as they don't need to keep trying codes - they'll know if there are any available and get a valid one if there is (better experience). For developers, MR could block users who don't leave feedback (assuming developers can be trusted to confirm it or the app could get it straight from the AppStore).

That said, I wouldn't count on anything like that arriving any time soon.

17. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

+1
    Plus with a minimum post count.

AppleMatt

18. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

It is invisible (see 2 posts up). I think the problem with having a minimum post count is that a developer that is not active on MacRumors then has to be active enough to post codes. If the developer doesn't want to be active on MacRumors, then they'll go somewhere else and you won't get codes. Of course one could try to make the argument that they should be active here but that can be argued either way.

19. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

This is all well and good, but I'll be the devil's advocate and ask why the developers can't take some responsibility for who gets their promo codes as well? Take the OP for example. A member since August 2009 with a total of 12 posts, 4 of them in this thread alone. I might say that the OP is being more than a bit hypocritical, since apparently the only thing he uses MR for is to promote his apps. If someone else only uses MR to get promo codes, how is that any worse?

This is hardly an isolated case. Developers come here all the time, drop their promo codes, and then never come back until their next set of promo codes become available. If I hypothetically used a promo code, why should I care enough to reply with the code I used when as far as I can tell the OP can't even be bothered enough to check back in their own thread?

As others have mentioned, requesting a PM for a promo code works just fine. In addition to taking the process of obtaining a code to a level that discourages the run-of-the-mill member who trawls the forum for codes, you can be a lot more selective about who gets your code and therefore uses your app. Perhaps this practice is the one that we should be advocating instead of randomly chosen post count requirements. If you are more selective who gets your code, you can also make a more educated guess as to who will give you constructive feedback and/or leave a review. If I wanted people to give me feedback on an app, I'd take jessica. over a macrumors newbie any day.

edit: I'd also volunteer that if someone actually PMs you asking for a code, you're automatically that much better off giving it to them as it shows they are interested enough in your app to take the time to request it.

20. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Am I alone in thinking promo codes are essentially spam?

21. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I can certainly see the argument against a minimum post count now. It is also news to me (as well as others) that the forum is now not visable to non-registered members. It once was because I've actually swiped a code when logged out and upon hitting reply I learned I needed to log in. So all in all if that was a fluke then fine but I'll see it as a change for the better in that case.

However, the PM system is even better, giving the power back to the dev. However, the dev then needs to spam a few messages if they're brand new in order to use the PM system. There's really no awesome way but PMs may be the best way.

And to miles01110, newbies may be more apt to be very forgiving in their reviews of a piss poor app ... maybe you're alone there in thinking a review from me would be better. ;)

Peterkro in my opinion, yes. I don't see them really as spam when they're willing to give something back. Self promotion and spam can be seen as one in the same but without some level of self promotion the app may never be seen. Quality apps have been mentioned here with and without promo codes. I do find the ones that simply say they have an app and post a screen shot of it, leaving no link to iTunes to be rather spamish. I often mention that to the devs and it often goes in one ear and out the other.

22. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Ooh, I hadn't thought of the minimum post count required to use PMs, but it's not that high.

Criticism doesn't have to be positive in order for it to be constructive. If you thought it was awful and could give me reasons why so it could be improved, I'd like to think I'd be extremely grateful.

23. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

I think that's a very good point. To be honest I didn't look at the OP's info I just read the thread and thought the idea was good. But yeah, it's no different than people posting links to their discount shoes websites except these happen to run on a device this forum caters for.

AppleMatt

24. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Here are some comments about this subject in a previous Feedback thread. Based on the tradeoffs we chose to require membership but not a minimum post count to use the Code Sharing forum.