No device support to Apple Developers on iOS5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by altjx, Sep 21, 2011.

1. altjx macrumors member

Just left the apple store with question marks above my head. I'm using iOS 5 Beta 7 and just went to the Apple Store to see if they could assist me in troubleshooting my iPhone 4 with its vibrate issues. It hasn't been vibrating for quite awhile, and after talking with some friends about their phones and mine, they recommended I take it to the Apple Store as they've always gotten A+ customer service from them.

I took my iPhone 4 to the store and after the guy realized it was running iOS 5, he said they can't support the device running iOS 5 because they can't troubleshoot the issue.

Is it true that of all developers with Apple, they're not able to get support on their devices if they're running iOS 5? I'm a bit confused.

2. batting1000 macrumors 604

iOS 5 has to be publically released before they can troubleshoot because Apple employees go through training beforehand. You can try the Developer forums if you need help.

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Apple Stores has never supported beta software. To get troubleshooting support, use the Developer Portal.

4. altjx thread starter macrumors member

What about a friend though who has had 2 iPhones with iOS 5 worked on and one replaced by an Apple employee? What exactly is the truth about their policy?

K, thanks.

5. batting1000 macrumors 604

They can replace the device as long as the beta software isn't contributing to the issue.

6. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

Yeah, iOS 5 is still in beta! You can't expect the Apple store staff to help you with an iPhone running a beta, publicly-unreleased OS. :rolleyes:

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Apple Store are not allowed to help people with beta/prototype software/hardware. Your friend probably got the iPhone replaced for an unrelated hardware issue.

8. shandyman Suspended

The truth is, is that any device running beta is not covered for support from an apple store.

Either the friend is telling porkies, or the apple store employee did not know what version the device was running.

9. altjx thread starter macrumors member

Gotcha. But surprisingly he didn't ask? It's been happening way before iOS 5 was even being announced as heavy as it is now. I've been on iOS 4.3 since it's been out and just got iOS 5 yesterday actually.

10. batting1000 macrumors 604

Well they don't blindly replace devices, they have to have a valid reason and they usually connect the device to troubleshoot it.

11. shandyman Suspended

Depends on the problem, they don't always hook up the device, so they don't necessarily always know what version the device is running.

AFAIK, even if the problem is unrelated to the version of iOS, if the member of staff knows it's running a beta, they won't replace it.

12. chaingang000 macrumors newbie

I got my iPhone 4 replaced yesterday for home button issues that could be related to the OS told him it was on 5.0 beta 7 and he still replaced it, think it depends on the genius you get...