No devices or shared in Finder sidebar

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by florrie, Jan 19, 2013.

1. florrie macrumors newbie

Hi, I wasn't able to see 'shared' in my finder sidebar, only devices and favorites. I read a few posts and followed one that advised deleting the com.apple.sidebar.plist from the library and restarting. Now I don't have 'devices' or 'shared' only 'favorites' showing. I also deleted the com.apple.finder.plist and restarted but this made no difference either. How can I get my shared and devices back in the sidebar?? I did have all three showing originally. Whether or not I lost Shared when I upgraded to mountain lion or not I can't be sure. But I don't have them now...

2. Knoodles macrumors 6502

Knoodles

Finder>Preferences>Sidebar. Tick the boxes to show what you want.

3. florrie thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks - I remember I looked at that before now. I just ticked the devices and my iMac is now showing :) but still not got Shared there. I actually don't have any shared computers / servers but I do remember that I used to have 'shared' showing anyway with nothing underneath it. I've ticked' all the options in preferences anyway but still not got shared showing in the sidebar

4. simsaladimbamba

Depending on your OS version, Shared is not visible, when no other device is visible, at least in Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard.
    Maybe you confused it with the SHARED section in iTunes?

To learn more about Mac OS X: Helpful Information for Any Mac User by GGJstudios

5. florrie thread starter macrumors newbie

no it wasn't itunes I was thinking of but it could have been that it was pre mountain lion but not pre snow leopard I don't think.
    As I lost all of my favorites when I deleted the sidebar plist I am just trying to get the ones back in that I had before. I used to have photoshop docs and text edit docs but now I get a no entry icon when I try to put those there. All I seem to be able to add to the sidebar now is folders. Is that another mountain lion quirk?

----------

no worries, i just discovered that I have to hold the option key while I drag for .psd and other files. :)